October 10, 2014

What might be the most expensive honey ever bottled

I decided it was time to pull the honey from my bees and start feeding them to prep them for winter. I run 8-frame hives, and Amelia's hive had some honey on 7 of the frames.

To start, I had to take the wax off the honey to remove it. I have an electric planing knife. But this being the first year, I decided the wax wasn't built out enough to make it worth heating that up and going that far. So instead, I used my capping scratcher, and just dragged the "comb" across the wax, opening it up.

I did that to two frames, and placed them inside the extractor.

C-man then took over spinning the frames around, the centripetal force slinging the honey out of the frames against the side of the extractor. Once they were spun for a minute one way, we reversed the direction and spun out that side.

Since I only had 7 frames, it went quickly. I left it overnight, and the next day, set up my 600 micron strainer below, and opened the gate.

After letting it all drain through the strainers for a day, I put the honey in the bottle. Ideally, you'd let it sit in another tank, letting the air bubbles go to the top. But since I had such a little bit of honey, and every transfer loses a little honey, I decided to skip that step and save whatever I could of the golden sweetness.

And there you have it. 7.5 bottles of honey after 7 months of work and too much money. Clearly, I am not a good farmer. But the honey is sweet and light and it's mine. And it really was so much fun.

Now to get these hives through the winter so we can have a big 2015!

1 comment:

Mary Z said...

Absolutely beautiful! If you enjoyed the process, it was worth every dime. Enjoy!