April 21, 2011

Full of hot air

Yesterday, I got my early birthday gift from C-man. After much discussion between Beerman and C-man, my nervous nelly child finally consented to let me go up in a hot air balloon.
He and Beerman followed below in the chase care. At one point, he even called me on the radio to see how I was doing. It was so sweet, everyone let out an, "Awwwww...."
And I was doing great at about 9000 feet.
 Other balloons were floating the gorge, too, which was fantastic for photo opportunities.
The day was sunny and beautiful. And except for the obnoxious lady from New York who wouldn't.shut.up. it was a quiet, serene ride.
I learned a lot about ballooning from Pilot Ed. First and foremost was that Pilot Ed had very little control over the balloon. Something that might have been better learned at the end of the trip.
But we landed safely and quietly on the sagebrush by "Dave's house", and I was greeted by C-man with a giant smile and a hug.
And then, according to a ballooning tradition that I wholeheartedly agree with, we all toasted to a successful flight.
And I happily crossed #87 off my list. I really am loving this New Mexico thing.

4 comments:

Mary Z said...

It's a fabulous sensation, isn't it! What a lucky gal!

Bev Sykes said...

I got to ride in a balloon near Lake Tahoe. It was a fabulous experience! I'm glad you had such a good time!

Snowcatcher said...

This is way better than anything I ever got to do in New Mexico! (although I did go to the Balloon Festival several times) So glad you got to go up, up and away!!!

Indigo said...

Gorgeous photos and I can't believe you got to go up in a hot air balloon! So awesome!