May 28, 2016
I've been depressed about all this medical stuff. And yesterday, after his day at the school's Junior Olympics, C-man came home and slept for 3 hours until I woke him up. He's got some virus that doesn't make him feel very well. So, we're pretty much just low-key around here.
at 10:09 AM
May 26, 2016
I had my MRI this morning. I'm assuming since I don't have a follow-up appointment for two weeks, I don't have bone cancer. Well, I'm logically assuming that. Emotionally, I'm kind of a wreck and convinced that's the issue. It's kind of a bizarre day when you're praying you just have degenerative bone loss. I'm happy to have the four day weekend in front of me, because I don't think I'd be very good at holding things together at work.
But C-man has a game tonight, as long as it doesn't rain out. And I have to get up to see my bees. So there are more important things to think about and gin and tonics to be drunk. I'll just be over here pretending to enjoy it all and not be a worrying mess.
at 11:41 AM
May 25, 2016
May 24, 2016
Last night's game was a schlacking. And not in favor of the Nationals. Oh boy, this team... C-man did pretty well, and looked great in his new red catchers gear. So there was that. And now, we're expecting a lot of days of rain. Is it wrong to hope they get rained out on Thursday? I can't take another game like that.
In other news, I have a four day weekend coming up. I should probably go see my bees. But other than that, I'm planning on some downtime. Ahhhh.... I can almost feel it.
at 12:32 PM
May 23, 2016
It was an absolutely fantastic weekend. Beasley got two park visits. The garage got picked up, the house cleaned, laundry done, plants bought, gardens cleaned and prepped, gardens planted, lawn mowed, groceries purchased, fish food purchased, car cleaned, C-man's room organized, a ton of stuff donated to Goodwill, bee equipment organized, new red catchers gear bought, gin and tonics drank, and s'mores eaten.
In the words of Beerman, "Can you even imagine what our summers would look like if we didn't have baseball?" Indeed.
at 12:59 PM
May 20, 2016
C-man played a great game last night. It was against a lot of his wrestler buddies, so showing up was important. He hit well (a really solid double off a friend), caught great (especially for the first time since he'd sprained his thumb), and even made a beyond amazing catch in center field to rob his good friend of at least a double. (His teammates dubbed it Trout-like) Afterward, he declared it the most fun he'd ever had losing. And that's what baseball is about, I suppose.
Now we have a baseball-free weekend in front of us, and the weather is supposed to be glorious. After the annual plant sale tomorrow morning, I'm hoping my arthritis nonsense holds off enough to be able to get some stuff done around the house and clean out my gardens. And, of course, drink the champagne Beerman got us for our anniversary. Definitely a yes on that one.
Cheers to the weekend, my friends. Cheers.
at 12:53 PM
May 19, 2016
Today marks 15 years of marriage to Beerman. We'll pass it with some work, a band concert, and a Little League game that will probably be a total schlacking because our coach feels like coaching this team like they're 6 year olds, switching their batting order and where they play every inning regardless as to the kid's knowledge or ability, and the other team is good. But enough about that nonsense before I get incredibly angry again.
Back to the important stuff - I've been married for 15 years. During that time, we've had 3 dogs, 1 kid, and 1 house. Together, we've traveled to 5 continents, endured an arthritis diagnosis, and made it through a bathroom and kitchen remodel. We've laughed. We've fought. We've lost some close to us. And we've made an incredible amount of good friends.
Our marriage probably isn't different than most. At least those that have made it. But it's mine. And for that, I'm so incredibly thankful, I cannot even put it into words.
Here's to the next 15.
at 10:30 AM
May 17, 2016
May 16, 2016
- I'm off the sugar again. After my Lenten fast, I got back on it while on vacation. And lately, with the appearance of chocolate and donuts and other sugary things that I find I don't even want, I've realized it's time to go cold turkey again. So there you go. Officially done again.
- Upon reflection of my birthday party, it was still pretty awesome and exactly what I wanted. That's a really nice feeling.
- I blew through the second season of Grace and Frankie on Netflix. That show makes me smile. I guess now that I'm 40, I like old people shows. Just as long as I don't start watching Jeopardy.
- C-man has a practice and two games this week, but nothing at all this weekend. That's sort of tremendous.
- Only four days until the weekend. I can do this.
at 1:53 PM
May 15, 2016
It was cold. In fact, it sleeted during C-man's baseball game. But we moved to Plan C. Beerman and company put a giant roof tarp around the pavillion, we lit the heaters, and the birthday party was on. We wore coats, but it was fine. A little food, a little music, a little liquor, and a whole lot of laughs. I am truly thankful to have been surrounded by so many friends and family.
It's a good feeling to have such goodness so close. Overwhelming a little, to know that those closest made sure to be there when it mattered. On my worst days, this photo is what brings it home. And on my best days, is where my deepest laughs stem. I couldn't have asked for it to have been better.
at 12:03 PM
May 13, 2016
It was a little bit of a rocky start, but the Nats pulled it off. And more importantly, selfishly, C-man finally swung the bat and made pretty great contact to right field. He made a couple of great catches in the outfield, too. I think he's earning himself a genuine spot out there, something that's not such a bad thing now that balls regularly come that way. This weekend's game will be a bit tougher, but we'll take the Ws where we can get them.
In other fun news, my birthday party is tomorrow. We've moved the location due to the anticipated weather issues, namely the cold. But Beerman has events planned, I have red solo cups on my shopping list, and it looks like we have 60ish people. In other words, it should be a good time.
at 8:59 AM
May 12, 2016
- Beerman picked up his truck yesterday. According to C-man, this purchase may have been our best decision. Ever.
- We have a baseball game tonight, of course. At least it's okay weather. I'm just praying they don't get slaughtered like last time.
- Well that, and that C-man swings the bat. He's lacked confidence lately, which is weird, because until a couple of games ago, when he was still swinging, he was crushing it.
- We've officially moved my party from the biergarten to the local park so we can heat it. Stupid weather.
- Beerman has been working hard on putting together some adult games for us, though, so it should be good.
- I'm working on getting us tickets to at least one Notre Dame game this football season. I don't know why I haven't done this before. I think C-man will like it. He loves seeing games in new places.
- Brazil got rid of its president today. And it's got rampant Zika. Oh boy, this Olympics is going to be something...
- Speaking of the Olympics, have you seen the American uniforms? Holy awful. Are we sailors? Pirates? Just can't decide how many layers to wear? At least the track uniforms are cool.
- I sold my first bottle of honey yesterday. I've gotten tired of people asking if they can buy it. So I figured, what the hell. I'm done giving it away.
- I realized today that I'd started a photo book of our vacation, but never finished it. At least I got that done.
- I'm really tired of hurting. I have an appointment on the 27th with a rheumatologist. I just can't do it anymore.
- And um, no. Just no.
- Only 2 more days until my birthday party. Cross your fingers for decent weather!
at 2:41 PM
May 10, 2016
The Nats got slaughtered last night. It was ugly. The kids got behind, and the shoulders slumped, and it all went downhill from there. C-man is in a slump himself. I'm hoping we can build his confidence up a bit this week so he can get back to himself. He's still sick, though, which isn't helpful.
In other news, Beerman is getting a truck. My birthday party is Saturday, and I think we have to change the venue due to the weather. (grumblegrumblegrumble) But, there are still loads of people coming, and there will be beer, so it's all good.
at 11:35 AM
May 8, 2016
After church and a dog park visit, we headed along the river in Estabrook Park to find our way to some geocaches. After a bit of searching, Beerman logged the first find.
I found the second, but C-man got the actual grab after a boost up the tree from Beerman. A true team effort.
At this point, we realized it was past noon, when the biergarten opened. So up to the street level we went to treat ourselves and have some lunch.
Then we came home so the boys could practice baseball while I mowed the lawn. A pretty darned fine day, if you ask me.
at 5:44 PM
May 6, 2016
Yesterday was my 40th birthday. It was a weird day. C-man wasn't feeling well (I think he has a cold that was exacerbated by allergies), and neither was I (too much Vicodin lately made my insides rebel). So we stayed home. Then, because I'm not very good at this adult thing, I let him go to his baseball game. And then we came home and had some greasy burgers. The end. And that's the story of how I turned 40. I didn't do anything. I didn't laugh or cry or really... anything. It just happened, and now it's over. 40 full turns around the sun.
I thought about making some resolutions or goals. But then I couldn't really come up with anything. Yes, there are laugh lines and extra pudge ripples and a c-section scar and chicken pox marks. But at the end of the day, I've got a family who loves me, a good job, way too many hobbies and interests, a nice network of friends, and a solidly great dog. I've traveled, not as much as I'd like, but more than most. I'm educated, not as many degrees as I'd like, but enough to be thankful for what I've got. And while the arthritis is nonsense, I guess we all have something to deal with.
So on this 40 + 1 day, I'm pretty content. I made it this far and haven't screwed too much up. Let's see what the next 40 bring.
at 12:22 PM
May 4, 2016
Today is the last day of my 30s. It's finally happened. Somehow, somewhere between climbing trees and being an exchange student and arguing about Homer and running a Boy Scout camp and getting married and getting a Masters degree and having a kid and receiving an arthritis diagnosis and getting stung by bees... I've become a full-fledged adult.
I'm not really concerned about turning 40, which surprises me a bit. I think it might not really mean much because I can't quite comprehend that it's real. I mean really, 40 year olds aren't young. And I'm not old, so it can't be possible, right? Right?!?
Then you add to it that I don't feel 40. I mean, some days I feel like I'm 12, while giggling at fart jokes. And then others, 112 because I can't even get out of bed on my own. But 40? Not once have I felt 40. Maybe it's because I don't really know what it means - this ever-present marking the passing of time. I know I forget a bit more than I used to. And I look at my retirement account as an important number. But 40 doesn't seem quite right.
Regardless, there it is. 40. Like a tacky, flashing neon beer sign swinging by one chain. Unavoidable. Not pretty. A little creaky. But everyone sees it if they're lucky enough.
Maybe if I keep saying it over and over again, it'll sink in. Then again, maybe I'll forget.
Goodbye, 30s. I think I'm ready to leave you behind.
at 1:10 PM
May 3, 2016
May 2, 2016
- I went to see my bees yesterday. All four hives are alive. Although Caroline's hive (one of my two survivors) is quite small. I saw brood, though, so they're just not building up. I hope that changes now that the weather is turning.
- It makes me feel a little better about there being so much pollen in the air and my lungs, though. At least it's good for the bees!
- C-man doesn't have a game until Thursday. He has personal practice on Tuesday and team practice on Wednesday, though.
- C-man's coach is also the league president. Now that he's got access to my photos, they're showing up on their Facebook and Instagram pages. It's nice to have them put to good use.
- I've got a birthday coming up this week. But more importantly is my party on the 14th. I looks like we've got at least 50 people coming. It's always stressful worrying you're going to have a party and no one is going to show. At least we don't have that. Now to pray-cross fingers-knock wood for good weather!
- I'm so glad Game of Thrones is back. The spoiler-not-spoiler is just proof that they're ahead of the books now, though. RR Martin would never follow so obvious of a storyline.
- In other news, only 4 more days of this work week to go!
at 12:28 PM