September 28, 2012
September 26, 2012
And so, as September moves into October, I'm having an Octoberlution - to read again. My brain could really use it!
at 9:28 AM
September 25, 2012
at 1:19 PM
September 24, 2012
at 3:24 PM
September 21, 2012
My favorite quote of the week: "You can't austere yourself into a higher GDP" -Lloyd Blankfein, CEO Goldman Sachs
at 11:01 AM
September 20, 2012
I am in Newark today. I am often someplace or another for work. It is something I take in stride most often. But after talking to C-man on the phone last night, and not being able to get him off the phone because he missed me, I can't wait to get home. Thankfully, I am not flying American this week, so there is a shot that I will get there yet tonight. I miss my boys.
at 7:27 AM
September 18, 2012
September 17, 2012
- C-man did NOT want a "kid" sitter (his term) last night while we went to Beerman's work event, because he did NOT want a stranger in the house. I got him a junior in high school boy (nephew of a friend) to hang with him. When we got home, C-man was watching Thor after having eaten pizza in front of the TV, and was soooo jacked up, he can't wait for Drew to come back again. At least that's positive.
- My pain has been subsiding. Except at night, of course, which is sort of hellish on the sleep. But the getting better is a positive thing. I think I'm going to wear some Thermacare things on the plane this week.
- I have to go to Newark for 2 days this week. Seriously. Newark. Even the name is icky.
- The Brewers 2013 schedule is out. The Brewers play the Mets in September. That has some possibilities for a stadium visit. Although if we go to NYC, C-man is going to want to see a Yankees game, too, which would require us being there on a Thursday. Otherwise, maybe we'll see Pittsburgh.
- Beerman and I discovered the AMC show Hell on Wheels on Netflix. Why haven't I heard of this show before?
- I've also only just discovered Rescue Me. A bonus, since it started in 2004!
- And, of course, L'Shana Tova! to all who celebrate. May it be a sweet new year to you!
at 11:05 AM
September 16, 2012
September 15, 2012
I feel myself slipping into a bit of a depression with this pain. It is a constant tug-of-war between keeping my mind sane and my body free-ish of pain, because one always leads to the other for me. I want to work out to improve my physical health and mind, but the pain is so great right now, I know it will make things worse in the short-term.
And so, I sit in the sun today in an attempt to make one of the two better. Now if the Brewers would give us a win.
at 1:35 PM
September 14, 2012
- The PT did some crazy stuff yesterday that helped. I am still not well, though.
- Maybe wine at wine club will help.
- I found a babysitter for Sunday night. And after that one accepted, so did two others. It figures. But better that than no one at all!
- C-man starts Cub Scouts tonight. Beerman was hoping he would want to quit, but he is so thrilled to be a Wolf, there is no chance at that.
- Ahhh... I am so glad for the weekend.
at 4:14 PM
September 13, 2012
September 12, 2012
My work has been kind of crazy busy lately. And between my life getting in the way of work (physical therapy, Harry needs a groom, kid has parent-teacher night, I can't sit because my back $#@* hurts so bad), I've been ornery. I don't know how I'm going to fly to Newark next week.
If an unknown filmmaker makes a crazy film nobody even knows exists, will all of Libya riot? And will a crazy pastor in Florida get on that bandwagon and get lots of press about it? The answer is apparently yes on both accounts. The world confounds me.
I still don't have a babysitter for Sunday night. Stupid Sunday school night event. Argh.
C-man starts football season next weekend. I can't believe it's starting already. He is thrilled, of course. Except for the part about not being able to hit people. That part disappoints him.
I've been on the Vicodin lately for my back. Just change my middle name to Favre.
I finished the first 4 seasons of True Blood. Season 5 doesn't come out on demand until next year. I need a new obsession.
at 2:07 PM
September 11, 2012
We have two Oktoberfest parties this weekend. My, how I miss the real Oktoberfest. I never did get good pictures of it when we were there. I was too new to my camera, and probably had too many of those tasty steins to make any of it work out well. Just one more reason to go back, I guess. Well, that, and the fact that I should have bought that dirndl I really liked but didn't think I'd have a use for. I'd totally wear it now.
Someone brought in donuts today to celebrate the September birthdays. I really have no willpower when it comes to donuts. Now I have a sugar headache. Someday I'll learn. Today, not so much.
at 3:01 PM
September 10, 2012
at 1:45 PM
September 7, 2012
September 6, 2012
- I'm told I have disc problems in my back. Something I kind of knew but was ignoring. I'm going to keep ignoring it, because that's sure to make it go away.
- Well, I'm not totally ignoring it. I am getting physical therapy to try to figure out how to mitigate the pain.
- Papaya seeds taste like, well, let's just say they taste really bad. Worse even the second day. I'm going to try to make a smoothie with them in to see if it helps diminish the nasty.
- Not having a vacation day scheduled for almost 3 months is kind of depressing. I may have to do something about that on one of C-man's Fridays off school for a teacher something-or-other.
- I have a haircut appointment for later today. Ahhh, that's exciting. C-man's school photos aren't until next month, so I'll wait until then to force him go. The bangs, at least, have to get trimmed.
- In the meantime, I've ordered his Thor Halloween costume. He's so proud that he doesn't even need a wig.
- The Fall Fest game is going to be 'capture the flag' this year. C-man thinks he should have swords for it. I ordered foam ones to test. We'll see...
- I thought we were going to have First Communion prep all year, but I guess it doesn't start until December. That's a bit of a relief, at least.
- Kind of a bummer that First Communion will be on my birthday.
- The local frozen yogurt shop opened Tuesday. We've been twice. Any bets on whether we'll go for the trifecta tonight?
- While quite left-leaning political, I just have to... Because THIS VIDEO is too depressingly funny not to share.
at 1:46 PM
September 5, 2012
- C-man adored day 1 of 2nd grade and earned a "point". Apparently this teacher isn't punitive in her punishment, but heavy on praising the good stuff. It seems like a good fit for C-man.
- Let's hope the next 179 days go as well.
- We celebrated by getting frozen yogurt at the newest shop by the house. Yum!
- A friend of ours told me they have plans over Fall Fest this year but is going to change them so he can come. It's official. The party has turned into a can't-miss event of the season.
- Beerman had to fly to Colorado and back today. I had to buy him Carhartt shirts for him to go. Don't ask.
- I watched Dr. Oz the other day. I shouldn't do that. It was a show on fatigue being commonly caused by parasites. The solution is to eat 1/4 C of papaya seeds with a teaspoon of honey every day for a week. I've convinced myself I need to try this.
- Papaya seeds are disgusting, awful, and bitter.
- I'm getting pressured to support the Komen walk through work. I have no interest in supporting the foundation, but it's becoming a political nightmare to say that. I keep avoiding the questions. It'll be nice when September is done.
- I've taken to checking the major news networks on their reporting of both conventions. The differences in headlines alone is really entertaining.
- Someone mentioned pancakes today. Now I can't stop thinking about pancakes. Breakfast for dinner!
at 3:57 PM
September 4, 2012
at 9:51 AM
September 3, 2012
September 2, 2012
at 4:10 PM
September 1, 2012
. My goodness, it is hard to believe summer is truly at an end. We have so much to be thankful for, though, so it is hard to be sad about anything right now. Maybe just a little wistful. Yes, let's go with wistful.
at 1:25 PM