November 30, 2012
November 27, 2012
Harry hurt his back, so I took him to the vet. The vet did a laser treatment on it. Now C-man and Beerman are talking about the frickin' laser beams on the vet's frickin' head. Ahh, Austin Powers is alive and well in this house.
C-man was inconsolable because nobody was coming for his first reconciliation this weekend. But Nana is coming through as the hero to celebrate with him. Thank God, because that was going to cost me a bundle in sympathy gifts otherwise.
I am on week 4 of Weight Watchers, and I am still hungry all the time. I can't keep up a regime that keeps me hungry all the time. But, Greece 2013, baby!
Tonight at dinner, C-man was inquiring how babies really come out the right way. (He was a c-section, so has always been told he was cut out). We gave him straightforward answers, only to discover a girl in class was asking the teacher and she told them to ask their parents. My dutiful child, of course, did. So there you have it. Now I am waiting for him to ask how they get in there!
I could use a cookie.
at 8:23 PM
November 26, 2012
- Nobody has won the Powerball lately. After coming back to work today after 5 days off, it's time to start playing.
- I didn't lose any weight this week. I stopped food journaling over Thanksgiving. Turkey isn't my thing, but neither is the on-the-road fast food or cupcakes I ate. But now I am back to it. Greece 2013, people!
- Speaking of Greece, I really need to get Beerman on buying those tickets. I AM going to sail those islands!
- Beerman cleaned out the garage so that I can park in it. The first time in 4 winters. Christmas has definitely come early!
at 3:27 PM
November 25, 2012
Blessed doesn't even begin to describe it.
at 12:40 PM
November 24, 2012
We're spending the evening with the neighbors, some Beerman-special potato leek soup, cold beers, and Notre Dame. We are incredibly blessed to have such great relationships in our lives.
at 3:26 PM
November 23, 2012
We had a lovely Thanksgiving at Grandma's house. The house was jammed with people. And babies - so many little ones this year! It was beautiful weather, as long as you weren't trying to shoot something, and the sunset was extraordinary. Kind of hard to beat that.
And now, the Christmas rush begins. At least the cards are addressed and half-written, the outside lights are up, and some presents are ordered. Teachers gifts still stump me, but I can always fall back on spices. So maybe I can stay ahead of it all this year! Maybe.
at 2:58 PM
November 22, 2012
November 21, 2012
- Vacation has officially started. 5 whole days of few obligations. How sweet it is.
- I made the Thanksgiving cranberries today. It is my only job for the day. Kind of a sham since they are so easy and nobody eats the damn things. But they're pretty, at least.
- People are talking Christmas, putting up trees, and doing the whole bit. I am not feeling it at all. I don't know if it is too early, if the warm weather is throwing me, if the arthritis stuff has me off kilter, or what. But it doesn't feel like it is time quite yet. Maybe after Thanksgiving is over I will be better. I sure hope so, because there is a lot to be done!
- I got a facial this morning. It had been so long, and my face was really showing it. I feel so much better, even if I am still too wrinkly for my age.
- Last year, on my way to Japan, I started knitting a sweater. I am still not done with that sucker. I wore a sweater I knitted to work yesterday and was getting stopped by people I don't know to tell me how great it is. It inspired me to commit to finishing it by the of the year. All that car time ahead of us shouldn't hurt that either, so I think it is doable.
- Being on Weight Watchers this time of year is a really good thing. Thanksgiving is rarely an issue, because I never liked Thanksgiving food, but all the Christmas sweets are killer. Keeping track of the intake may just be what gets me through this next month at an even pace.
- The gash on my abdomen from the mole removal is almost healed, so I should be able to get in the pool again shortly. It is always a great weekend activity with C-man and feels good on the joints.
- C-man's parent-teacher conferences were great. The teachers all commented on his hair with a smirk, though. Go figure. His classroom teacher informed us her son went through a part of high school with green hair, so was understanding of our plight.
- We did learn that we are supposed to make a big deal out of his first reconciliation day next Saturday. Oh boy, better whip something up for that for him!
at 1:35 PM
November 20, 2012
at 3:44 PM
November 19, 2012
- It's a short week. Ahh, a blessedly short week of working today and tomorrow.
- Today is C-man's only day of school for the week. (Can someone please explain what that's all about?)
- It's also our parent-teacher conference day. I'm curious to see what the report is on the little man. His report card was stellar, but it's always nice to be able to gage how well the teacher likes him.
- Harry sprained his ankle last night. The poor dog went tearing after a squirrel in the backyard in the dark and planted right onto his face, rolling his foot under. He was still limping this morning, so we're babying him an extra lot.
- Yesterday, I stepped on the scale for weigh-in day, and gained .5 pounds. That was post a night of wine drinking and ham eating. Today, I weighed in again, and lost 2 pounds from last week. I think I was carrying a bit of water weight!
- Have I mentioned it's an incredibly short week?
at 1:51 PM
November 17, 2012
November 16, 2012
Because work has been pretty intense, leaving me little time to think of anything else even in my dreams. That lack of balance is something I really don't enjoy. Beerman has had after-work stuff that means he's not available to help with the grooming appointments and speech sessions and just taking over because I can't. Not to mention, C-man's been on his own wild ride this week. He's starving hungry again 10 minutes after each meal, and there is absolutely no filling him up. So I am assuming I will need to buy him size 8 pants next week. Plus, he said his whole class has been totally crazy and getting in trouble. Yesterday, he got punched in the chest by, as he describes it, the sweetest kid in the class who still watches Bob the Builder.
Seriously people. Something's up.
Maybe it's Mercury in retrograde that's making everything nuts. Maybe it's the crazy little ions floating about causing the Northern Lights this week. I don't know. But whatever it is, can it PLEASE stop?!
Preferably by 5 p.m. today. Because I am leaving work today to go straight home, crack open a beer, and watch a movie in front of the TV. And tomorrow, we are having friends over for a Friendsgiving type celebration. (Or as I'm certain Beerman thinks of it - time to get rid of last year's giant Christmas ham before the next one shows up at our doorstep and we have to find a place in the freezer for it!) They're the type of friends for whom I will clean the toilets and make things around the house presentable, but don't have to worry if the baseboards aren't dusted. So this should be good.
Because really - screw Mercury. It's Friday.
at 1:21 PM
November 13, 2012
November 12, 2012
- Nothing like waking up to a Monday and barely being able to move. Hello, cold front. You were totally unnecessary.
- I have one week of Weight Watchers points counting done. I'm down 4 pounds. Which is kind of amazing, since my meals didn't really change much. But I cut out all that crappy snacking in-between that was out of control. I'm not expected that kind of loss every week, but it sure does feel good to see progress.
- I celebrated with a lunch at Solly's for a butter burger. There was so much butter on that thing I was kind of grossed out. But I ate it, of course.
- My stitches are out, and I've steri-stripped over the gaping gross cut to try to mitigate the scar. I really don't want a giant horizontal scar across my abdomen. Vain, I know.
- Now that the stitches are out, I'm hoping to be able to exercise a bit to keep the fat loss going. I will not be fat for vacation. I will not be fat for vacation.
- C-man had to paint his first reconcilliation candle on Sunday morning. We also had to go up on the altar and present his certificate and get a blessing in front of the whole church during mass.
- While the priest was blessing all of us, and I should have been all reverent and filled with the holy spirit, I was looking at C-man's friend. Her nails were painted with swirly paint and her shoes were red Mary Jane clogs. Almost exactly like I was wearing. It's official. I have the fashion sense of a 7 year old girl.
November 10, 2012
at 2:49 PM
November 8, 2012
- Work has been so incredibly crazy lately, and Beerman has been gone with his own work trip, so you'll have to bear with me as I post photos from a couple of weeks ago. I haven't taken photos in what feels like ages. But that's okay, I guess. It's C-man. And I always find those pictures to be worthwhile.
- I am supposed to get my stitches out tomorrow. I was supposed to get them out Monday, but that didn't happen. I think I've got a better shot this time. Man, I'm sick of these things.
- I'm not sick of reading about the election mis-steps of Karl Rove. I just can't tire of those.
- Last night C-man and I were dancing around the house doing the "Obama won" dance in fits of giggles and snorts. Good times.
- I read in the school newsletter this morning that in the school-wide election of Rudy Rabbit vs Bucky Bear, my kid was the one to debate for Bucky Bear. And Bucky Bear won. Maybe he is my kid after all!
- I'm on Day 4 of Weight Watchers and not hungry as much as tired. Which is interesting. We'll see how this progresses. Regardless, I can't be fat for our trip in Spring. Heck, who am I kidding? I can't be too fat for my fat pants anymore!
at 2:34 PM
November 7, 2012
As C-man waited for the bus today, he turned to me and said, "Maybe next time we can elect a woman, Mom. It's kinda weird we've never done that." Ahhh, that wisdom of a child who doesn't think twice that we just re-elected an African American man, something that was almost unthinkable just ten years ago, but questions why we haven't seen a woman in the office. Gosh, that makes me so happy I could cry.
at 1:53 PM
November 6, 2012
- Beerman and I went to vote this morning after C-man got on the bus. I was 573 and he was 574 at 7:45 a.m. Pretty decent turnout considering over 35% of the village already voted absentee.
- I really hope Ohio doesn't drag this out 10 more days for us.
- I didn't get my stitches out yesterday. The doctor took one out and said, "I'll see you in 5 more days." Stupid Humira.
- I've officially started Weight Watchers. I've been so down about my weight and lack of energy lately that I just have no excuse anymore.
- A bit of weight off and these stitches out, and I can start back in the exercise routine, too.
- C-man gets his report card and school photos this week. Those are both always good for a smile.
- Ahh, it's time to head home and glue myself to the TV for the night. Here's hoping it goes my way!
at 4:03 PM
November 5, 2012
- Beerman and C-man have the day off together today. I'm incredibly jealous.
- I get my stitches out today. Thank God. I am so tired of these things poking me, and sticking out of my shirt, I'm about ready to rip them out myself.
- Daylight savings time is over. I'm okay with this. What I'm not okay with? The next time the sun will set after 5:00 p.m. - January 28th. Ugh. It's time to plan a sunny long weekend somewhere!
- C-man's football season is done. Now it's time to start checking out different sports places to see what he wants to join. Judo, here we come.
- Beerman volunteered at the school rummage sale all day Saturday, making the breakfast, snacks, and lunch. The chairs had the nerve to question the amount of money he spent again. (Nevermind there really were no leftovers, and we bought back anything that wasn't opened or still had partials we'd use) It reminded me why I got the heck out of that gig.
- The election is tomorrow. Everyone's thrilled for this to be over. I'm kind of sad. I love all this stuff. Except the "You're Damn Right" commercial. That one can go away and fast. Then again, does anyone really believe this will be over tomorrow? I mean, Ohio doesn't even count its provisional ballots until the end of the month.
- I love voting. That's going to be amazing.
- Let's get this week started!
at 9:57 AM
November 4, 2012
I am incredibly blessed to have the support of family and friends. Today, we walked through the zoo with the Jingle Bell Run/Walk to benefit the Arthritis Foundation. A fabulous day in a fun place for a great cause with my favorite people. Pretty hard to beat that!
If you haven't already, feel free to donate HERE.
at 12:31 PM
November 2, 2012
- Oh wow, am I glad it's Friday. It's a short day for C-man. Something I only realized yesterday. Oops. But at least Beerman already has a half-day to go get food from Costco for the rummage sale tomorrow and I'm working from home.
- Have I mentioned how thrilled I am to not be working that school rummage sale this year? Just the recent emails to Beerman about food gave me hives. Seriously, it might have been the best.decision.ever.
- Not best decision ever? Picking up another Nicholas Sparks novel. How do people continue to read that drivel? I don't know if I can make it to the end.
- It might just rival the Mumford and Sons CD decision I bought. Little Lion Man? I Will Wait? Great songs. Everything else they sing - sounds exactly like those two songs. Over and over and over. Maddening.
- All the tape and bandages around these stitches is now causing a disgusting, itchy rash. Thank God I have a whole pharmacy at my disposal in this house. I think the steroid cream is helping it. At least I don't want to claw my own skin off anymore. Just when I thought 11 stitches in my stomach couldn't look any grosser...
- Wreck It Ralph opens tonight, and C-man has been dying to go. Since Skyfall opens next weekend and I'm expecting my family to attend the opening showing without a single complaint, I'll do this one.
- Plus, C-man was super sweet this morning - all huggy and lovey. He even left an adorable note in the bathroom window steam for me to find. It made my heart all melty and hard to resist his request.
- I've been kind of blown away by the donations I've gotten for the Jingle Bell Walk this year. I threw it out there on Facebook in a desperate plea for cash, and have had donations from old friends I haven't seen in years come my way. Even my favorite Jewish mother-in-law (next door neighbor's mother) gave me cash. Totally unexpected and humbling.
- Obama and Katy Perry are doing a rally in town tomorrow. I got C-man and me some tickets and we're going to try to go to it. We'll see what kind of a madhouse it is and if we make it in.
- We're supposed to go to a sacrament adoration meeting at 9:30 on Sunday morning. I get the whole first reconcilliation thing is supposed to be a big deal and all, but 9:30 on a Sunday morning? Sorry, folks. We'll be at the zoo jingling along.
- And just in case you want to donate to the Jingle Bell Walk, just click HERE
at 12:04 PM
November 1, 2012
Today is November 1st. A good of day as any to start cleaner living as any, I guess. I really need to figure this out.
at 12:27 PM