November 30, 2016
This weekend is the first fake Christmas. Man, it's way too early for this. I don't know what I do or don't have for anyone. I have Friday off, at least, and can try to pull myself together then.
The breakfast options served at my work have improved a million-fold since we got a new kitchen. I need to stop doing this, but justify it by having a smaller lunch instead. Because seriously - egg in a hole? Yes!
This week has felt like the longest week where I keep beating my head against the wall. People can't be that dumb, right?
Last night was the first Jr Knights practice for Beerman and C-man. C-man was thrilled to be back at it with this group. I'm glad he enjoys it.
Beerman is slowly improving since the great tumble. He proudly showed me he could lift his arm over his head today. Progress.
At least the Brewers are picking up some new players. Trump may be our president in Spring, but at least there's something hopeful...
at 8:51 AM
November 28, 2016
- C-man has been in club wrestling for 2 weeks. But this week starts his Jr Knights wrestling, too. That means he's just moved into 4 a week wrestling practices until Easter. Ahhh, can you smell it?
- Beerman fell two stories off a ladder yesterday while putting up a Christmas wreath. The ladder slipped out from under him. I'm cautiously optimistic that while he really jacked up his back, the knock to his head wasn't incredibly severe. But we're watching things...
- Coming back to work after 5 days isn't my favorite thing to do. When do I win that lottery?
- Thanksgiving was lovely this year. A smaller crowd than normal, but it all worked out. And after gorging on blackberry and cherry pie, we came home with the annual box of canned good from Grandma. It's hard to beat that with a stick.
- We winterized the bees. In other words, they got moisture quilts put on top, and a fence around them to block the wind. I have chosen, on the advice of my instructor, to not wrap them because it retains too much moisture. We'll see how that works out again. It's hard to believe this is my third season and winter.
- C-man has started meditating with me daily now. Hopefully it helps with some of the anxiety he's been feeling. You couldn't pay me to be a middle schooler again.
- I could really use a nap. Is it nap time yet?
at 2:11 PM
November 22, 2016
- The Christmas cards are ordered. Ugh, I hate hitting print on these things. Invariably, I find a million things I want to change after I do, but whatever. It's done now. Maybe someday I'll have a family who does a nice photo for the card.
- Who am I kidding. We are not the nice family photo card people.
- The school has lice. Shudder. I already itch.
- I was without my computer for a day and a half at work. Do you know what you can do without a computer at work? Jack shit.
- C-man has forgotten to turn in his ski club information for over a week and a half. It's past the deadline. I told him to beg for forgiveness and turn it in today. I'm curious to see if his sad face did its magic.
- Thanksgiving is this week. So I've got to get my cranberries.
- But more importantly, I need to make my bee hive quilts so I can winterize the bees. I can't believe it's already time for that. I hope they make it.
- And now, have a lovely week.
at 3:43 PM
November 17, 2016
Researchers on happiness say that you should have 2.9013 happy interactions to unhappy or neutral ones. It's the critical positivity ratio. And I am in such a deficit this week, I can hardly stand it. I'm glad the weekend is almost here, because I can really use it. And because my body can't take much more of the donuts and frozen custard I've been feeding it.
at 2:51 PM
November 14, 2016
November 12, 2016
November 11, 2016
November 9, 2016
November 8, 2016
Today, I voted.
I voted for the economy
I voted for control over my own body
I voted for inclusion
I voted for education
I voted for the climate
I voted for diplomacy
I voted for all the little girls
I voted for all the old ladies
I voted for love
And most importantly, I voted for the world I want my son to live and grow in.
I choked up a little when I made that little circle dark black. She isn't all things I want her to be. But that's okay. Because it's close enough. And that's what democracy is about.
at 12:37 PM
November 6, 2016
I know, it's been a while since I've stopped by. Things have been crazy and routine all at the same time. Halloween has come and gone. You know, the one where we went to a party at a friend's house and C-man had to have a gorilla costume but then was embarrassed to wear it so only wore the head. Then there was the end of season football banquet with the horribly awful food and too long of speeches. There was a full reorg at work that's made things sucky, but it's at least my 5th one, so I know it will be what it is. And there have been dog baths and dog parks. There have been laundry loads done and poke drives made. There's been obsessive checking of fivethirtyeight, which is making me sick with worry. But I even finally got to Coleman to start the winterizing of the bees. It crazily, was too warm to finish, but hey - I have 4 hives again! (Did they come back? Was it a new hive?)
So, you know, life. It's been happening.
at 4:25 PM