- I dropped my camera yesterday (blasted arthritic hands!) and I heard an awful shattering noise. (This is not the good thing) After my heart got down to only double its normal speed, I realized it was only the UV lens, and not the real lens or camera body that broke into a gazillion pieces. Whew! That could have been tragic. It made me thankful all over again for my camera, though.
- C-man is having a good friend stay over night tonight, and he's sooo excited, it's contagious.
- While I love, Love, LOVE the ballet, nobody in my house will ever go with me. So I have now successfully adopted 2 girls (daughters of our good friends) for girlie events. And we now have excellent seats for us to go see the Moscow Ballet's rendition of the Nutcracker on December 1st. (I'm TOTALLY taking them for tea and sunshine cake next!)
- C-man picked the first of this season's apples from our tree yesterday and took it to school for snack. He then declared it the sweetest apple he'd ever tasted.
- Our friends keep telling us how great the party was last weekend. I know I shouldn't need to hear it, but it was so much darned work, it really is gratifying that it went so well.
- C-man got to happily wear his Brewers shirt to school today. Which meant he HAD to wear his Hart jersey. I love that he loves the guy nobody else likes much.
- Brewers fever has totally hit this city. I love when any Wisconsin sports do well, but get kind of annoyed when the news and papers cover nothing but the Packers starting in August, which should be the heat of the baseball season. This year, they are delaying the news coverage to cover the Brewers. I love it.
- Watching the Red Sox implode was kind of beautiful.
- Somehow, corn got planted in our garden. I can only assume it's from the birds or squirrels. But we have 6 ears of, what is most likely, field corn growing. It just makes me laugh to watch each day.
- Harry has invited himself to sleep in bed next to me this week. Sort of like, hey, that guy's gone, so don't mind me, I'll just be right over here. Total aside - that dog never stops running in his sleep.
- I got a haircut. I really love getting my hair cut.
- China canceled its annual Dog Meat Festival this week. Something that I feel was a pretty solid decision.
- It's stopped raining.
- Beerman will be home soon.
- I made it to Friday.
September 30, 2011
at 8:11 AM
September 29, 2011
September 28, 2011
The rain will not stop. Which means that the giant low pressure system from hell has been swirling above us for almost a week. Which means my hands look like five read kielbasa poking out from a puffy palm. So adorable.
It's times like these that this whole arthritis thing makes me angry. With all the money pharmaceuticals throw into making sure men's penises enlarge for up to 4 hours, helping women's eyelashes grow thicker, and paralyzing faces with the exact right amount of botulism so they don't wrinkle in the wrong spot, they will not or cannot fix some major chronic problems in the world.
And so, I think I'm just going to finish construction on an ark, board it, and sail off. At least the thought of that makes me happy.
at 8:53 AM
September 27, 2011
- The rain is showing no signs of slowing. And it's negatively affecting my mood.
- The wind brought down some trees, which cut our power yesterday morning, and was out most of the day.
- WE Energies said it came back on at 4:30, but the fruit leather cooking in the dehydrator was pretty dry and the fish were fine. So we're guessing it must have been on and off throughout the day.
- Regardless, it was off when I was getting ready for work, and I was a little scary looking all day long.
- I just celebrated 5 years with my company.
- I got a $25 gift card as my thank you.
- Beerman's comment was, "Don't spend it all in one place."
- I can't believe all the amazingly generous comments and emails I got from yesterday's photo. Maybe this self-portrait thing will be fun!
- New TV is back. I don't think Two and a Half Men is funny at all. And the appeal of Dancing With the Stars is something I'll never get.
- But I missed The Amazing Race this week. And that bums me out, because it's a house favorite.
- I've been reading Harry Potter to C-man before bed. We just started the 4th book, which is where Cedric dies. He's seen the movies, but the books are so much more intense and descriptive. We'll see how it goes...
- When I asked C-man what his favorite subject at school is, his response was, "Mass." Seriously? Why does he fight going on the weekends then? So when I questioned him further, he said, "It's nice to take a break from school and just be quiet." Huh. We've got a mini Buddha on our hands.
- Oktoberfest is going on right now. Dang, that was a great time.
- It also means it's Beer Festival season here at home. Beerman is captain judge again this week, of course. Which means he'll get more beer judge logo apparel. At least he leaves the beer glasses behind now. One house can only have so many beer glasses.
- Which means this is the week people stop him to take their photos with him like he's a celebrity. Oh, the ego boost.
- At least all my laundry is done. It was way overdue, unfortunately. Every load I brought up, Beerman would say, "More?!" Yes, honey, that's what happens when you ignore it for almost 2 weeks.
- C-man is all into football now. He has to practice throwing and catching the ball every night. When it was raining, and we told him no because it was raining, he said, "But I'll have to play football in this, so I need to get used to it!" Seriously.
September 26, 2011
at 9:27 AM
September 25, 2011
Last night was our 2nd Annual Fall Fest. It was so much work, but it's so worth it to have so many happy people at the end of the night. We are so incredibly blessed to have such an amazing group of friends. And the rain graciously held off until the moment we called everyone into the tent for dinner.
So here's the official tally...
34 fantastic people
19 of them children
1 brand new outdoor tent I own
2 propane heaters
4 pounds of bacon-wrapped tri-tip
4 pounds of ribeye
Bacon-wrapped chicken thighs
Bacon-wrapped chicken thighs
24 giant hotdogs
1.5 pounds of bacon
1 crock pot of rice
1 crock pot of black beans
1 giant tub of cookies made at the neighbors house while they entertained our kid so we could set up the stuff
2 bags of chips
44 pao de queijo breads
1 enormous veggie platter
8 bags of ice
20 bags of movie popcorn
2 pitchers of caipirinha
20 cups of hot chocolate
3 bottles of wine
Soda, juice boxes, and water
A whole lot of beer
1 homemade Angry Birds catapult
24 playground balls
3 Angry Birds pigs to knock down
1 outdoor Rio movie
at 11:55 AM
September 23, 2011
So, welcome, Fall. Let's have some fun.
at 9:29 AM
September 22, 2011
- Clean the house before this weekend's festivities
- Pray the rain holds off on Saturday so we can have our party
- Laundry. Dear God, how long have I been avoiding that?
- Groceries. For us and our 35 guests. Oh, who am I kidding? I need to make a list so Beerman can go grocery shopping.
- Sleep. I don't know why, but sleep has been escaping me lately, and it has not been fun
- Finish The Night Circus. Unbelievably, I have finally found a book I'm actually enjoying!
- Buy lots of limes to make the caipirinhas
- Hang the canvas of the O Torii photo I took that should be arriving today.
- Rip out about 1/3 of the sweater I've knitted so far. It's such a dumb pattern, but I think I've got it figured out now. Well, until the next slip up.
- Pick up the CSA veggies. Thursdays are always good because we get our box of goodies. Today we even get apples. Yum!
- Take some photos. I really have not been very inspired lately, and that's sad. So maybe I need to force it a bit to get out of my rut.
- Put the shoes away by the door. You'd think I had 5 kids with the amount of shoes we have tossed about.
- Put together a party playlist
at 1:26 PM
September 19, 2011
September 18, 2011
at 6:49 PM
September 17, 2011
at 7:28 PM
September 16, 2011
*Thank Buddha it's Friday
Friday, the love of my life, How very happy I am to see you!
My head has been screaming in pain for a few days now, and working from home while resting when I can today, is sort of beyond beautiful. I don't know if it's the weather, the medicine, or that damn donut (okay, fine, two donuts) I was weak and broke down and ate the other day. (It was a really, really bad day.)
In other exciting news, C-man asked Beerman to make him a picture frame last night. While doing so, Beerman successfully shot a nail through his thumb. He pulled the nail out before coming inside, and thankfully didn't hit any bones or anything important. He was all hyped up like I remember being after getting my belly button pierced all those years ago. So we cleaned it out, bandaged it up, and he went back outside to do some more work. Probably not the best choice, but there really was no stopping him until he could calm down a bit.
And with that, I hope you all enjoy your weekend!
at 9:17 AM
September 15, 2011
It all makes me really glad it's Thursday, and we can look forward to the weekend. We have Seussical play tickets on Saturday, Beerman has been assembling our new 20 x 20 tent in the backyard in preparation for Fall Fest, today is veggie pickup day, and tomorrow is early release from school day (which I didn't realize until C-man told me last night - zoinks!). It's gotten ridiculously cold, so I don't know what we can do. But I feel like there is some more geocaching or some other fun to be had out there. (Because Friday can't be a homework day, too, can it?)
So here's to the almost end of the week. It can't come soon enough.
at 8:36 AM
September 12, 2011
at 10:52 AM
September 11, 2011
September 9, 2011
at 7:54 AM
September 8, 2011
- I've been watching Mad Men on Netflix. I am into Season 2 and still can't decide if I like or hate the show. It's good for late night watching when I can't sleep, at least, since that's been the case a lot lately.
- James Moore said, "If Perry and Bush had been born in the same family, W would have become known as "the smart one". That's some scary shit right there.
- Eating almost gluten-free is getting a lot easier. I'm starting to crave fewer sweets, too, which is nice. Now if the pounds would melt away, life would be almost perfect.
- Everyone has responded with a "Yes" to this year's Fall Fest, which is fabulous. We're going to have a big crowd. Let's pray for good weather!
- I need to find some patience. C-man has been acting a little crazy, and not in a good way. A friend sent me this article. It gave me some really good perspective. Let's hope this is truly a September thing, and it'll settle back down soon, because I really miss my sweet kid.
- Although he hasn't really been getting in trouble at school. Except for that day when he got a warning for blurting out the math answers. When I asked why, he said, "Because it was so easy!" This cannot be my kid.
- I haven't gotten a massage in ages, and they just accrue if I don't use them up monthly, so it's dumb not to go. I figured since my pinkies have been going numb lately, I should probably get one. So I am getting one today. I can't wait.
- I've been seeing a lot of green or red or purple pants with elastic or tight ankles being worn. People, I lived 1992 once. I don't think I can bear to go back.
- Although the way my skin looks right now, I could be 16 again. I think I've been drooling a lot in my sleep because of Fall allergies. Gross.
- The rain gutter regatta is this weekend. I think I am going to have a Cub Scout. That means we'll go to Indian Mound Scout Camp. I used to be the director there for a few years. That'd be something.
- Next weekend we have First Stage tickets to see Seussical. We love going so much, and I'm really thrilled with this year's line-up.
- If I went back to Japan, I would definitely go see a baseball game. We tried to go while we were in Tokyo, but neither team was in town. A true regret I'll have to rectify someday.
- I've really been striking out with books this year. They've been predictable or so boring I can't finish them. I need to find a good read.
at 7:59 AM
September 7, 2011
September 6, 2011
The "Yes" responses to Fall Fest continue to come in, Rio the movie is purchased, and Beerman's Angry Birds catapult is now officially built. I ordered the balls for the smashing action, but have to figure out what the pigs are going to be yet. We spray painted foam eggs gold for those. I have to figure out how to give prizes for the golden eggs yet. The craft is going to be creating the Rio monkeys on foam visors. We sure do put a lot of work into this party. But if it's anything like last year's, it'll totally be worth it.
Well, here's to being back to work, waking up before the sun, and not getting a day off until Thanksgiving!
at 10:11 AM
September 5, 2011
I love days off. I finally painted my living room wall behind the couch. It's only been since March, so it's not like there was any rush. (sarcasm) The storms finally passed through, so I'm feeling a bit better. Still weird from the new drugs though. Which might be why I blew up at C-man when his sassy behavior would have typically gotten a calm punishment instead of the screaming, "Get into your room now!" Then again, it could have been building from when he accidentally dialed 911 earlier in the day. Let's just hope he doesn't use these examples in therapy 20 years from now. I'm going to use the rest of the day to find some angry bird balls to go in the catapult Beerman built for the fall fest party, and hopefully have some fun, too.
at 12:34 PM
September 4, 2011
And that is the excitement that is my life.
at 6:07 PM
September 3, 2011
at 2:36 PM
September 2, 2011
September 1, 2011
- C-man is a first grader now. Which means he is very concerned with being cool. For example, his backpack can only be carried on one shoulder, regardless as to how heavy it is.
- Beerman sent me the most gorgeous flowers on Monday. They're really pretty, and everyone is jealous. I do enjoy both of those things.
- It seems like everyone at work is pregnant or just had a baby. While I appreciate their enthusiasm, it can get kind of hard to be genuinely thrilled every day with each new development. Especially when someone unknowingly asks the idiot question, "Why aren't you pregnant?"
- My arthritis has really flared up this week. I'm so not into that.
- We went to the Brewers game last night. Oh.boy.
- Cardinals fans are, for the most part, pretty respectful. It was way better than against the Twins or Cubs. Well, except for the outcome, of course.
- C-man totally dominated my camera while at the game. Since the Brewers were so bad, I thought I'd share his photo today.
- Note to self: Get new memory card for the old camera so he can have that one so I can get my own camera back.
- I am really excited about the 3-day weekend ahead. We have plans with friends at night, but the day is ours to enjoy. It's one of the few weekends at home all summer. We can actually get some stuff done. Pretty sad, considering Labor Day marks the end of summer.
- I had some labs at the rheumatologist the other day and have been playing phone tag with my doctor since. I hate that.
- We're working on planning our Fall Fest 2011. I think this year's movie is going to be Rio and a Brazil/Angry Birds theme. Mmmm... meat...
- Cargo Bridge is my new game. I love it.
- Some days, 13 things to think of are just too hard.
at 1:37 PM