December 4, 2007

Quizzical Canadians

I like Canada a lot. I find it to be clean, safe, and for the most part - friendly too. I took time away from my job to take a training in Toronto, spend my money in Toronto, and speak highly of Toronto when asked why I came. Which is why it kills me that it only took 3 Goddamn hours for the stupid American comments to start flying at lunch. So I politely informed the offenders that there are stupid people everywhere. And you can't expect every single American to know every trivial fact about a country that is #14 on the world's GDP list... behind such astute countries like India, France, Russia, South Korea, and Brazil. So the conversation went like this: Them: Do you know who the Canadian Prime Minister is? Me: Stephen Harper. Thank God you finally picked one that can speak English, albeit a Conservative one. But oh, wait, you don't pick your leader do you? How silly of me to forget that. By the way, when was the last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup? Them: How do you like the pizza? :-) Don't mess with me, damnit, or I'll kick you where it hurts. Off to the Leaf's game. I'm sitting way up high, but I don't care. That way if it sucks, I can leave.

No comments: