October 28, 2008

Crying in the vet's office again

Once upon a time, the vet told me Harry had a heart problem. And I sat there in the vet's office crying to myself because I'd just gone to South Dakota to get this dog, and now he wasn't even save-able. The thing is, 6 years later, he's doing just great. But yesterday, I took Riley to the vet. He hasn't been putting a lot of weight on his back-right leg. I figured he was licking it like crazy again, and just caused some swelling. Or maybe he ran around the yard like an idiot and hurt himself. But it wasn't getting better, and seemed to be getting worse, so I left work today to take him in. And that's when the vet slugged me upside the head and punched me in the gut. Well, he might as well have. Actually, he was really nice and just handed me a box of Kleenex. Because he told me that Riley's got bone cancer. And that typically means there's less than a year left with a lot of pain in between - in more ways than one, from what I can tell. And there I sat, crying in the vet's office again. Sigh...

2 comments:

Rogers5 said...

I am so sorry to hear about Harry. I hope you can keep him pain free for as long as possible. My heart breaks for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, I've been there with two of my dogs. :-( One of them we took to the University of Madison for radiation. I hope he enjoys his new bed.

p.s. Kimberly at www.petroville.com just found out her dog, Lillian, has cancer as well.