June 24, 2011

Friday random thoughts

I can hardly string a sentence together lately, let alone a full blog-post, so here is yet another exciting blog by bullets.
  • It's hard to believe, but C-man's regular season baseball season is winding down. This weekend and then Wednesday are his last games before tournaments begin.
  • Either as a blessing or just because they're the youngest team in the league, I don't see them winning the tournament games. The first two teams are pretty much league terminators, so tournaments should go fast.
  • I'm heading to Las Vegas on Sunday, so I'll miss the Sunday and Wednesday games.
  • Vegas is not my town. At all. But at least there will be sun. I miss the sun.
  • And I am kind of excited about this conference I'm going to. Richard Branson and Michael J Fox are two of the keynote speakers. Keith Urban is Tuesday night's entertainment. You know, the "take your cat and leave my sweater" guy that Beerman loo-oooves (that's sarcasm).
  • But back to the sun. Seriously - it's officially summer, and it's 65 degrees. That's really not cool.Well, actually, it is in a literal way.
  • I'm loving our new mattress and am sleeping so much better. I wake up 10 minutes before my alarm, and am feeling much better about my sleep.
  • In spite of the new mattress, I want to fall asleep every day after lunch. I'm thinking my iron is low. And I need to beef up my workouts. I've let them slide a bit lately, which is never good.
  • I got a landscape architect to draw up planting plans for our yard. Which would be nice if we didn't have to spend all that money on re-doing our backyard drainage. I'm never going to get my new kitchen.
  • I have found a good lodge in Pantanal that actually has some October and November availability. This trip might actually come together after all.
  • Beerman is going ahead with his work trip to Japan in August. I'd rather he didn't, but it's not stopping him. That said, I'm sadly not going along. It's kind of hard to justify a trip to Japan and Brazil within months of one another when we need to sock all this money into such sexy things like backyard drainage and driveway resurfacing.
  • That means Beerman will be at 6 continents by the end of this year, while I'll still be sitting at 4. (I've already got South America, he doesn't, and neither of us have Asia yet) Good for him, but I'm still insanely jealous.
  • Harry is really showing some signs of aging lately, and it really weighs on me. He used to jump up and down in the morning when we'd get up. Now he stays on his pillow, wagging his tail nub for us to come pet him. And when I rubbed his butt the other morning, he squealed in pain. Sigh... I don't want to think about it, but it makes me so sad, I can't seem to stop.
  • C-man continues to love his summer camp. When it rains outside, they have tennis lessons on the indoor court. When it's nice, they have their pick between 3 enormous play areas. When it's too cold outside, they go play on the indoor playground. They create plays in a huge theater. They do sensory activities that include smelling truffle oil. It's no wonder the school costs $18k a year to attend during the year. He'd better enjoy it in the summer, because back to Catholic school he goes in the fall!
  • Speaking of truffle oil, I went to a new olive oil place yesterday after my massage. I got the most fabulous blackberry ginger balsamic vinegar for Beerman. I can't wait to see what he does with it.
  • I finally bought the new Stephanie Plum novel. I can't wait to plow through that. I'm waiting for the plane for the bulk of it, and it's killing me.
  • Tonight the village is having a bonfire in the park. We're going to have to bundle up, but it should be a fun outing anyhow. Let the weekend begin!

1 comment:

Mary Z said...

Our Sue accidentally bought two copies of #17. It's a tradition to bring on our beach week (2-9 July this year). It will be read by most folk there, as usual.

We've done 6 continents, too - Africa is the one we're missing. Antarctica is incredibly beautiful in a stark black/white/blue sort of way. Plan that for a Christmas present some year.