May 4, 2016

Sonofabitch


Today is the last day of my 30s. It's finally happened. Somehow, somewhere between climbing trees and being an exchange student and arguing about Homer and running a Boy Scout camp and getting married and getting a Masters degree and having a kid and receiving an arthritis diagnosis and getting stung by bees... I've become a full-fledged adult.

Holy shit.

I'm not really concerned about turning 40, which surprises me a bit. I think it might not really mean much because I can't quite comprehend that it's real. I mean really, 40 year olds aren't young. And I'm not old, so it can't be possible, right? Right?!?

Then you add to it that I don't feel 40. I mean, some days I feel like I'm 12, while giggling at fart jokes. And then others, 112 because I can't even get out of bed on my own. But 40? Not once have I felt 40. Maybe it's because I don't really know what it means - this ever-present marking the passing of time. I know I forget a bit more than I used to. And I look at my retirement account as an important number. But 40 doesn't seem quite right.

Regardless, there it is. 40. Like a tacky, flashing neon beer sign swinging by one chain. Unavoidable. Not pretty. A little creaky. But everyone sees it if they're lucky enough.

Maybe if I keep saying it over and over again, it'll sink in. Then again, maybe I'll forget.

Goodbye, 30s. I think I'm ready to leave you behind.

No comments: