January 17, 2012

A mother's love

I know a mother's love for her child is not abnormal. But the love I have for this kid, the one who gets that sly little grin just before he's going to do something like throw a snowball at his dad when he thinks he isn't looking, is so big, it doesn't feel like I can keep it inside me.

It's kindness and justice week at school in honor of MLK Jr. Day. So he decided to give up this week's allowance to a homeless shelter. That's 3 whole dollars that he's been counting on to get the next Lego set he wants so very bad. It about killed him to know he'd be a week further from getting the Burrow, but he did it because he said it was cold outside and everyone needed to be inside.

I really, really love this child.

3 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Your photos and stories have made a lot of us love him, too.

(I upgraded to the latest Firefox and now I can leave comments here again)

Mary Z said...

You are all special to us, too!

Mary Z said...

Just remembered, we have a first-grade school picture of our youngest, and she has that same deviltry-in-the-making look in her eyes. If we ever get a scanner, I'll send you a copy of it. She's 50 now, and still has that look.