February 24, 2013

Busy-ness


After a late night out at the school auction, in Beerman's absence, I became substitute den leader again. And today, that meant rock climbing. We left rock climbing a bit early to then head to Pinkalicious, the latest First Stage play. Holy pink tutus and little girls. As C-man said, it looked like pink threw up. Not my favorite play, by far.

But back to last night's festivities. It was the school dinner/auction social outing and fundraiser. This year, the "meet the need" fundraiser ask was for security for the school. There was all sorts of drama talking about Sandy Hook which ended with an ask for tightened security at the school. At the risk of sounding callous, I was so offended that they would use a horrible tragedy that changed some peoples lives forever for the gain of the school. Yes, I definitely want my child to be safe and secure. But really? We had a horrible religious temple shooting just down the road, and I don't see us battening down the hatches of the church. And I guess of all the thing the school could use, I find it a huge waste to spend money to have locking classroom doors. I mean what's next, flack jackets for the kids? No recess outside? Tunnels to walk into the school from the buses? Turning into Texas and having armed guards at our doors? It just seems like an extreme response.

But because the nature of how the money is asked for and is then donated, it's quite a public affair as to who gives what and how much. So I was kind of nervous to be the one who wasn't going to donate. But then when I said I wasn't donating, I quickly learned I wasn't alone. In fact, not even close. The money that came in this year was less than a third of what they got last year to rebuild the community center/school cafeteria, and others were expressing very similar concerns. Not that I was looking for vindication, but it felt a little better to think that others were thinking this through and not just jumping to an extreme conclusion as a result of an extreme event.

So that, coupled with the fact that I was attending alone (with friends, of course, but without Beerman), and then compounded by the fact that a few men made the ridiculous comment that because Beerman is gone, I was out "spending all his money" - ha ha ha (It was a good thing I had a glass of wine in my hand or I might have punched them. I mean seriously - spending HIS money?!?), the night just wasn't what it should have been for me. But at least I won the right for C-man to lead the Junior Olympics parade.

And so, we slept in, had our busy day, and now I'm tired. It's going to be an early to bed night for all of us.

2 comments:

Mary Z said...

Good girl for standing your ground!

l'empress said...

Some men just don't think. If their brains knew what their mouths were saying, they'd die of embarrassment. I'm glad you stood up for yourself.