September 5, 2013

Confessions of an introvert

People drain me. As in, I feel totally wiped out after I need to be with large groups of people. I understand I need to interact with others, and do quite successfully. I mean, it's not like I've gone hermit. I can function in society. I just prefer long stretches of quiet. I've noticed this extraordinarily this week, coming back to work in hyperdrive after being out of it for almost two weeks. And I feel depleted.

Yes, I'm an introvert.

This fact shocks many who meet me, because I do well in social settings. Sometimes, in fact, I get in my mood that I feel I need to entertain everyone, and then all eyes are on me. It's so bad that sometimes I think "STOP IT!" in my head, but just can't, because I'm on a roll. My job puts me in front of people constantly. I can deal with it, and do it quite well. I mean, I don't have Aspergers.

I just need the silence.

I need the time to think and be creative and be quiet. I need everyone to just shut up for 10 minutes so I can function again. I don't feel like I've gotten those 10 minutes since I've been back to work this week. As I get older, I am recognizing this need more than ever. I don't think the need has necessarily increased, but my awareness of it definitely has.

I'm going to find the quiet today. Someway, somehow, I need to get myself back together. Vacation wasn't that long ago. It shouldn't feel like it was.

3 comments:

Mary Z said...

Maybe you could hide in the bathroom for a while. Nobody ever bothers anybody in the bathroom (except children, of course).

l'empress said...

Know that you're not the only one. We learn to live with it, to function with it; I don't know how I managed all those years.

Kim said...

ALL OF THE YES! I am the same way. I think I realized it somewhere in my 20's. I love people, I love my friends, I love spending time with them and all of that. But most of all, I love it when I have the entire living room to myself to lay on the couch just be alone.