December 23, 2008

Spirit of the Season

It's no secret that I'm not very festive this year. But the truth is, this time of year has never excited me. Because beyond the cold, snow, gray and sunless skies, it requires that people act like they're festive. And you hear the most annoying things. For example: "Do you have all your shopping done?" How has shopping for a ridiculous amount of crap become a contest? When people start asking for my family's "list" before Halloween, it's become obscene. Even more depressing is when someone has to ask for my list because s/he doesn't even know me well enough to get me something interesting or thoughtful that I'd enjoy. "Are you ready for Christmas?" What does this mean, really? Do I know what time mass is? Is my house decorated? I often want to respond, but don't because I'm being "festive", that December 25th is going to come and go every year no matter what I do. "What are you getting for Christmas?" A lot of bills. And before you go and accuse me of being a Scrooge, I have purchased/wrapped/sent and/or made gifts for 32 people. I've baked breads for the Christmas programs. I bought the outfit so I could take the photo, get it printed, and then mailed all the Christmas cards out. I packed the suitcases so we could/can travel to the holiday festivities. I even purchased and delivered the Hanukkah gifts. And I am so tired that none of it is enjoyable. Bah humbug.

No comments: