April 23, 2010

Why I'm so busy all the time

Bella the Mommy Robin sitting on her eggs outside our window

My whole life it's been ingrained in my brain that you should help others.  My Mom was always helping around the school or feeding the gymnastics team and my Dad is forever building some new building or table or roof for someone me.  Then I spent 4 years at Marquette, where all this Catholic guilt, social responsibility stuff is taught to you, quite literally, as religion.  Not to mention my own propensity for feeling incredibly guilty when I sit down for 5 minutes because there are so many other things I could be doing. (2nd coat of paint on that door, garden gnomes out, garden winter cleaned out...)

I've been accused recently by a few people of not being able to say no.  And I have to disagree with that.  I know people I work with would DEFINITELY disagree with that.  My real problem lies in the ability to not feel as if something is my responsibility.  And just as much of a problem, it's my total inability to let something be done in a less-than-competent way.

To-may-to, Ta-mah-to, this is still a major problem.  Mostly because I get involved in way too much and then get upset that I'm so busy.

Take this week alone.  Beerman and I are now chairs of the annual rummage sale.  They did a call out to the whole school, and I guess I feel a deep-seeded need to be a part of the school community.  (After all, isn't that why we're there, because of the "community" it provides?) Plus, while I've never held my own rummage sale, I have run countless golf tournaments, pinewood derbies, and fundraised hundreds of thousands of dollars in countless other ways.  So how hard could this be?  (Famous last words, I know)  Beerman has also been assigned as a t-ball coach, and I'm now the t-ball manager.  (Beerman said I might as well make it official since I practically did it last year anyhow).

So I'm officially calling it quits on signing up for anything else. I've signed on for my part, and that's enough.  Until the next cause comes up...

2 comments:

Indigo said...

Who me? :)

I have the guilt too when I sit around to read a book, relax, watch tv, etc.. that I could be doing something far more productive like cleaning the house, putting stuff away, unloading the dishwasher, brushing the cats which leads to vacuuming, which of course leads to doing the laundry. My husband has put me on Laundry Restriction -- I can only do laundry on Wed & Sat. And when I told him that I like to wash my favorite pair of jeans more often than Wed & Sat he told me that I need to buy more favorite jeans. (did he just tell me to go shopping??) I digress ....

The responsibility part is totally legit, I do this ALL THE TIME. Plus, I feel the need to do it myself because it's the only way it'll get done right.

Anyhow, I hear where you are coming from and I hope you didn't think I was poking at you with my question today. It was just a great question to be asked. :)

jon said...

Ah,...Catholic guilt. The Jesuits? A good education sprinkled with healthy dosages of guilt.
I never cared much for religious education. perhaps that is because of being forced to go to religious education classes and being an altar boy.
I just have trouble with the concept of faith through guilt and fear.
In most religions that is their cornerstone to recruit new members. Guilt and fear.
Religions are like political parties. Everyone has an idea what is best for you.
I will now step down from my orange crate.