June 11, 2010

Down to my wee little genes

I got my 23andMe genetic testing results this week. And I've found it so facinating.  According to one vial of my spit, I am 33% more likely to get Type 2 diabetes than the average Joe, 26% more of getting artirial fibrillation, 5% more likely to get colon cancer and 3% more likely to get melanoma.  And while the markers aren't certain predictors of doom, the fact that it also says I'm 15% more likely to get psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, which I'm painfully aware of its existance in me, and 5% more likely to get restless leg syndrome, which I've had since I was young, it certainly holds some weight for me.  I've also learned there's a genetic marker proving why I am always anemic.

So many people don't want anything to do with genetic testing.  For me, while it's no guarantee something else might actually get me (I could choke on a noodle tomorrow, after all) it's comforting to know that my known markers for breast cancer and Parkinsons are well below the typical risk. And if they hadn't been, something about that would have felt good to know too.  Because at the end of the day, to me, information is power.  Knowing what makes up who I am down to the gene level is part of the overall fabric of my life, not to mention, I just think it's facinating fun.  Now to get a kit for my Dad, so I can get his half of it!

No comments: