June 1, 2010

H-Twenty

This weekend was hot and sticky.  We played outside a lot, enjoying every minute of it.  Until yesterday, when we were without water.  I knew the water was going off so Beerman could install our water tank.  But he'd said that before, and then had to build another labyrinth of pipe, so never actually shut the water off.  So I took it sort of seriously. Big mistake.  Because this time he actually shut it off... while I was at the dogpark... without drawing any water for us first. No buckets for toilets, no pots for handwashing, no drinking water available, no water to wash the giant tetanus-inducing gash down my leg I'd incurred while working around the yard.  It was gross.  I'd been spreading cocoa bean mulch (which apparently Harry likes to eat and barf up all over my carpet when I'm waterless to clean it properly), and planting hostas, and playing soccer with a 5 year old. I was so gross that by 3 p.m. I couldn't stand myself, so decided to go shower at the health club; only to discover they'd closed by 2 because of Memorial Day.  So shortly after that, I went to the grocery store, looking like I'd just finished walking the Ho Chi Minh trail, simply to wash my hands. And the indescribable black goo that came off them... eww...

The good news is that the water is back on as of 10 p.m. last night. The new tank is installed, so we shouldn't have any more soaked basements to contend with, and it's one more big project we can check off the giant to-do list.  But it's safe to say I won't be taking our running water for granted any time soon!

1 comment:

Indigo said...

BTDT, I feel for your total grossness. You could have come to my house for a shower, C-man could have played, and I had a great deal going this weekend: FREE PUPPY!!!