June 15, 2010

B-rated insomniac

I've had insomnia lately.  My whole life I've had trouble sleeping for various reasons.  And I can attribute it to a gazillion things, but one thing remains the same: me lying in bed in the middle of the night, wide awake, while my mind is racing to hell and beyond.

I know there are drugs for times like this.  A while back, you might remember, my rheumatologist gave me Ambien to be able to block out the pain and be able to sleep, and it turned out so abysmally, I won't take the stuff again.  And since I've been pretty successful with valerian pills, I didn't look for anything else. Until recently.  So the best I can determine, my options at 2 a.m. are A) Lie there thinking crazy thoughts, B) Read a book, or C) Watch a movie.  Usually I go to the book.  But this past week, I've gone to letter C, and taken advantage of the Netflix streaming movies.

Now Netflix watch instantly does not offer the best movie selection out there.  You can't see the latest and greatest in DVD releases.  No, no, no, nothing that fancy.  It's all b-rated or documentaries or foreign or old.  As a result, I've been watching extraordinary movies like Carolina, Miss Conception, and I can't believe I'm admitting this - Fired Up!  And since we don't have cable, I've also learned that the Jimmy Fallon show is replayed at 4 a.m., and that they still sell the spray paint for your bald head.

I swear my IQ has dropped at least 10 points.  I just pray nobody notices me sleeping at my desk at 2p.m.

2 comments:

Indigo said...

I was up at 2 am, we should have called each other. :) I've been an insomniac most of my life too. I toss and turn and the more I think about how I should be sleeping the worse it gets. I take melatonin, alternating with any of the Tylenol/Motrin/etc... PM meds. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes I don't. I keep telling myself that the older I get the less sleep I need so I'm totally normal. Right???

Lindy said...

Taking calcium and magnesium before bedtime seem to help my muscles relax enough to sleep. I definitely have problems staying asleep when I don't take it.

We love Netflix streaming movies. It gives us a chance to catch up on movies we've missed. My husband is big into documentaries and history, so it's right up his alley. My favorites are the independent and foreign films. I agree, however, it would be nice if fairly newer releases would be available.

*mingle*