June 25, 2010

God is funny

The first time I came to do some work in Ohio, I had the crap scared out of me when I was innocently driving along the interstate and came upon this:
I was so frightened, I had to get a photo of it, and got my chance during a traffic slowdown.  Later I learned that it was referred to by the locals as the Butter Jesus. And while this is what my religion also believes in and all (Jesus, not butter, although that's pretty good too), this thing was HUGE. And scary.  Scared the hell right out of me, you might say.  Maybe even the bajeezus, if you will.

But I speak in the past tense, because a weekish ago, lightning struck it.
Now, this is ironic because, well, it was Jesus.  And it wasn't arson or some hate crime... this was the very hand of God striking down a giant, buttery-yellow scary Jesus statue in the middle of nowhereville Ohio.  Apparently God thought it was scary too? So it's kind of funny, right?


This is what it looked like when I drove by today:

But the irony improves when you realize what's actually within EYESIGHT of it...
That's right, the one and only, the original Larry Flynt Hustler store.  Just proof, in case you needed any, that God's got a pretty incredible sense of humor.

No comments: