December 26, 2013

Sloe-gin, I think I love you

Christmas, after the presents are opened and mass is attended and the wrapping paper put in the recycling, we spend our evening sharing joy with our friends at our house. Individual make-your-own pizzas, fondue pots of deliciousness, raclette grills filled with lobster and scallops and beef and tofu and chicken and vegetables and potatoes, and glasses filled with deliciousness.


This year, the glasses were filled with Refulgant Punch*, a delightful mix of sloe-gin, champagne, rum, sugar, and lemon juice. Which coupled with the great friendships, resulted in fun stories and laughter so raucous that the kids complained they couldn't hear their movie. (I didn't even know I liked sloe-gin, but whoa - holy deliciousness!)


I feel so thankful to have friends we adore. It's hard to imagine that the hoopla is over. But since I'm getting sick (running through tissue boxes while I sneeze myself silly), it's probably a really good thing.


* I had to read at Christmas Mass. I showed up as a sub for someone who couldn't make it, and ended up being the only reader - needing to read everything, most of it blind. One of the words I had to read was "refulgance". A stupid word because nobody uses it. But when we found a great punch recipe, we decided it was going to be radiant. Refulgant, if you will. Hence, the toast to Refulgant Punch.

No comments: