September 24, 2009

A day in Siena

We decided to try to escape the tour groups that are quite literally bumping into one another all over Florence. So today is brought to you by Siena, Italy. You know, the place that brought Crayola the color "burnt siena". Check this out, and you'll see why...
Laundry hanging outside windows. My patron Saint, Saint Catherine was born in Siena. (the last of 25 kids) Therefore, there are churches devoted to her here. Creepily, her HEAD and finger are also on display in another church. I really wanted a photo, but they were pretty darned strict about that. (Nevermind I walked through 3 Italian security systems to other exhibits with 2 Swiss knives in my bag, including to go see David, but don't take a picture of Catherine's head or they'll practically chop yours off...) Another great view in Siena.
Beerman enjoying the day outside the Siena duomo.
The local wildlife. I swear, I have more pictures of Italian pigeons than I do of churches. It's probably because it's the only thing that's "legal" to take photos of around here. (Beerman just said, "Did you just put one of your pigeons in your blog? Yes, honey, I did. You can watch Halloween dubbed in German while we're in Italy, I can put pigeons in my blog.) Another perfectly beautiful fruit stand.Sweet, sweet Siena meats...
And me in the streets.

Overall, Siena to us was what I think Florence is to everyone else. Beerman and I keep talking about why I dislike Florence the way I do. I mean, the food is absolutely spot-frickin'-on, the art is amazing... but the tourists are tripping over one another. It's kind of like the French Quarter in New Orleans. It's always felt so fake to me... Siena, on the other hand, while still tourist-laden, feels like the real deal to me. Laundry hanging from the windows, real people moving about their days, and real life happening. Ahhhh... refreshing.

I can't believe we leave tomorrow night for Munich to go home. Such a drag. But I think we have to go home to pay for this trip. Damn. I hate that part.

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! You've taken great photos.

I'm a little late with my *mingle* because I was also on vacation! (not as glamorous as yours, though)