February 1, 2010

Happiness Monday: Hell might have just frozen over

Every marriage has its ups and downs. Every marriage has a sticking point - that one thing that IF it gets discussed, starts a fight or hurts feelings. And sometimes it doesn't get discussed at all. And sometimes, quite unfortunately, it doesn't come out until divorce court. If you're sitting there right now thinking, "Not me," I'm going to have to ask you to have a frank conversation with your spouse. Because there's ALWAYS something.
For example, we have our master bathroom. The room that has been left in some state of disrepair/remodel for 5 years. Yes, not a typo. 5.Friggen.Years. We make progress, then we disagree, and then we, quite literally, just shut the door. Yes, Oprah, I know we haven't been fighting just about the bathroom. There's been a lot of pride involved. Yet the door remained shut.
So what does this have to do with Happiness Monday? That's because this past week, the door opened. Because we're both doing a little lot of pride swallowing, and we're going to get this done, even if it's not the exact way either of us want it. (Now isn't that a nice metaphor for the difficulties in marriage?)
So the tile and walls are painted. The shower is caulked. (I even had a glorious inaugural shower in it last night.) And while the trim still needs a second coat, the ceiling needs new lights, and we need a new toilet seat, (not to mention window treatment and wall stuff) the fact that there is some serious tangible progress says something pretty important.
So if you felt the earth move this weekend, that wasn't an earthquake, it was hell freezing over. Because I swear, it WILL be complete by the end of February.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Yeah....
Hubby and I have been married for 35 years.
We had a bit of a "misunderstanding" and disagreed on a couple of things this past week.
Talking about it?
Naaaahh.
It's one of those things that he doesn't get and never will.
We were both wrong in our own ways but and while I STILL disagree,I just let it go.
It's called picking your battles.
It's just eaiser that way.

Indigo said...

Christmas break 2008 we decided to go through the ENTIRE kitchen and reorganize. Cabinet by cabinet. At the beginning there was a lot of: 'Honey, do really need 27 coffee cups?' 'Honey, can we put the 5 spatulas in this drawer?' But after 4 hours and 16 cabinets we were fighting over how to properly stack Tupperware containers (without the lids on them, OBVIOUSLY), how many pint glasses one needs in order to be fulfilled (ONE FOR EVERY MICROBREWERY THAT TAPES THEM TO A 6-PACK OR CASE), and where to store the breadmaker (SOMEWHERE ELSE).

Do you remember that faucet that I replaced in December in our master bathroom? Instead of it being a favor that I did it for him, I somehow robbed him of his manhood. The new faucet for Zoe's bathroom remains in the box though.....

We remodeled a kitchen in together in our old house. It took all freaking summer to do it. I don't know how we didn't kill each other.

Rogers5 said...

Really?! Only 5 years. I have a new house and still have not had my bathroom finished in 7 and my basement got started by his plans and it's not anything we discussed. If I can make through 20years of "discussing" our unfinished projects you should do just fine. I usually get things done by the time I start to scream!