February 9, 2010

What's in a blog

I've had this blog for a few years now. And it has been a fun place to write about little pieces of my life, leave some funny anecdotes, and share some of my creativity. After all, I really enjoy writing and sharing my photos. And an unintended consequence has been that I've met some really interesting, fun people with whom I have a lot in common. But in spite of all that, lately it's become more of a downer for me than anything.
For some reason, the things I post have become fodder for those closest to me to critique or criticize. Or worse, it has been a way for friends or family to check in on me, despite never contacting me any other way. And why would they? I mean, after all, they already know ALL there is to know about my life, right? And that, I just find totally depressing.
Admittedly, I've been dealing with a lot of heavy shit lately. Things that I would never put in this blog. One, because it's not what I want my blog to be about. But also, because right now it's just too much for me to honestly put myself out there just to get smacked alongside the head by those who are supposed to be my support system.
So I'm going on hiatus. Consider it a blog vacation. I don't know when I'll be back. Hell, maybe tomorrow after I get a decent night's sleep and this low front passes. But until then, you can find me around my usual hangouts.

8 comments:

Maureen Fitzgerald said...

I for one hope you don't disappear for too long! I can totally relate though - I edit myself so much more than I used to when no one I knew IRL was reading my blog.

You could always start a new one in secret - I've been tempted! (But if you do, be sure to email the link to your cyber-friends!)

Indigo said...

I had to reel it in too once my entire family (and now my freaking neighbors) started reading my blog. I took a break once, said I was going to back to journaling instead, and every day my grandmother called to find out when I was going to start blogging again. I came back a MUCH different blogger than I was prior to the break. And I'll never ever blog for the newspaper again. Too much real life exposure for me, that's for sure. Enjoy your hiatus! :)

jon said...

Mingle*****
I really enjoyed your blog. I will miss you. You were one of my favorites. I hope you come back soon.
I don't really know you but I still feel like I am losing a friend.
I think I am getting the verklempf. talk among yourselves.

Sharon said...

*Mingle*
My family don't know about my blog, my work colleagues know I blog but don't know where to find my blog, I haven't told my friends about my blog - I love to share my thoughts but this way I don't need to be on my guard!

Kwizgiver said...

::mingle::

I really enjoy your blog. Hope the hiatus works out well.

wineandroasts said...

I hope you don't stay away for too long. And don't be a stranger over at CG/CG.

Good luck with all the heavy shit - adulthood sucks, doesn't it?

kathi said...

I hope you enjoy some peace during your blogging hiatus. My own breaks have definitely been good for the soul. I hope you continue to share your photos from time to time even if you are on break from writing.

:: Mingle On! ::

Bev Sykes said...

I understand what you're saying. I just keep writing through it. I do it on compulsion. I, too, hope you don't stay away too long. You're always the first blog I visit when I'm *mingling*