February 3, 2010

My couch is here

After too much money and 3 months of waiting, last night, my couch FINALLY got delivered. And I love my red cushions.About 5 minutes after the ridiculously quick "goodbye" as the 2 delivery guys ran out the door, and C-man got on the couch, dislodging one of the red pillows they'd perfectly placed, I noticed this. Seriously, are you catching that 1"x1" L-shaped rip right in the middle of the couch cushion that looks suspiciously like where a thumb would go when carrying it in and the delivery guy deliberately covered up and got the eff out of dodge in about 3 seconds flat?!? So I called up American TV and Appliance. The woman was calm and courteous, but informed me that they'd have to send someone out to see if it could be repaired or I'D BE CHARGED A RESTOCKING FEE! And then it got even BETTER. The only time they could send someone out to do this would be on a week day from 8 - 5. I told her that was outrageous, since I wasn't taking a day off work so they could fix their screw-up. After a serious back and forth where I almost threw the phone through the window at least twice, she said she'd call me back.
About 10 minutes later, the sales guy called me back, was super apologetic, and said they'd call today because they needed to fix it without me driving 40 minutes from work to let them look at something they delivered damaged. So we'll see how this goes. There's no way they're going to be able to repair this. And if I have to wait another 3 months for the right, unripped couch, I might lose it. But service is king, so I'm reserving official and final judgment on them until I see how this gets resolved.
In the meantime, I'll be over here, muttering and swearing to myself with a pen poised to cross American off my list.

4 comments:

Indigo said...

I LOVE YOUR NEW COUCH!!! I need a couch like that. Ohmygosh look at all of that room!

But that hole? That's such a total bummer and they should give a HUGE discount and fix it immediately. Is the pillow where the hole is attached to the back of the couch? I'm thinking that it is, otherwise the delivery guy would have faced the rip towards the back.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought a solid oak computer desk from them about 16 years ago. I couldn't wait for delivery (me? patient? NOT) so I picked it up at the warehouse and took it home to my 3rd floor east side walk-up apartment. And then I realized it weighed about 150# and I had to coax a neighbor to help me lug it upstairs.

While it had four legs, because why wouldn't it, they were attached together in sets of two like a great big upside-down U. The screws were attached to the legs already, but guess what? NO NUTS. American was like: "Oops, sorry. Just go to the hardware store and buy some." So there I was, at Home Depot with my U shaped desk legs trying to size nuts and washers.

That was the very last thing I ever bought from American. I don't even think I've been in the store since.

jon said...

This sounds like a case for Judge Judy.

Mingle****

Bev Sykes said...

Remember the good old days when customer service actually worked? My uncle's advice was always "never go to the foot when the head can be had," meaning not to deal with whoever answers your call, but insist on talking with the manager. That has worked for me often, but these days, I don't think anybody gives a damn from the bottom up.

*mingle*

Kwizgiver said...

What a gorgeous couch!! I can't wait to hear how this story turns out. Hopefully it will all be settled smoothly and soon.

::mingle::