February 1, 2014

Deep conversations


Yesterday morning, C-man started singing one of the songs from A Midnight Cry, the play we saw at First Stage a couple of weekends ago about the underground railroad. (It was absolutely fantastic, and I had to choke back true sobs when they whipped the woman, it was so moving and horrifying. The music was incredible (and we all know how much I dislike musicals), and it was incredibly soul touching.)

And then he turned to me and said, "They didn't want her to be educated, because then she would have known she could be free. Everyone should be able to get an education, Mom. Because then nobody can tell you things that are wrong, because you know better. Kind of like the women we saw from those other countries when we were in Turkey." (He was referring to the fully covered women from fundametally religious cultures who couldn't look at men.)

I'd be lying if I didn't get a little teary. He really has an innate sense of social justice and empathy and compassion that goes well beyond his 8 little years. But he is also able to look across cultures and events throughout time and connect when there is a common wrong. I know I'm biased, but this is one pretty special child.

1 comment:

l'empress said...

I am currently reading I Am Malala, about the Afghan girl who fights for education. C-Man is a little young for it, but I think you will both totally enjoy it.

Good kid!