March 9, 2014

Springing forward

I had my first 5 hour beekeeping certification class yesterday. I left class with an armful of catalogs and a head full of ideas on how to start this. I mean, let me be clear - I teach classes. I write classes. I manage 7 people who do this kind of stuff. The design of this class is something I'd NEVER let pass through to our employees - a giant binder with clip art pictures, a long lecture with little true interaction, and a u-shaped classroom.

But it didn't matter. I was riveted. I learned everything from the history of beekeeping to how bees have sex (really unfortunate for the drones, by the way), and it was awesome. I can't wait to go back next week. I don't remember the last time I was this excited about something. I couldn't sleep last night (pain related), and spent the entire night excitedly planning my hives.

If this is how things are after one day of class, what am I going to be like at the end of April? I think it's a fair amount of work but I think it's going to be amazing.

Now to figure out where to put the hives and not kill my bee-allergic husband...

No comments: