October 5, 2014

Winterizing


Today, I skipped C-man's baseball game (Beerman is home again, so he took over on that front) and drove north and checked on my bees to get them ready for winter. I took off the honey supers. Amelia's hive had some honey. Beatrix's had none. (That hive has been so frustrating!)


I brought the supers home and plan on extracting them off later this week when I have some time. I don't think I'll get but a few pounds, which is really disheartening considering all the work I've gone through. But the next big challenge is to get them through winter. So feeding has begun, and I'll go back in a week or two to clean up the area around the hive and build a second entrance higher up (so the snow doesn't block it).

Here's to a simple winter and a better bee season next year!

No comments: