June 29, 2008

Where's the good stuff?

It's summer. The time for good movies, good books... but where are they? Kung Fu Panda was a big snooze. I mean really, yesterday is the past, tomorrow is a mystery but today is a present? Please... Wall E was sort of cute (yes, we braved the packed theater last night for C-man to look at me 30 minutes in and say "I want to go home"), but you had to get through 45 minutes of it to turn enjoyable. Not nearly the Nemo or Cars stuff Pixar has put out in the past. I recognize that part of my problem are the types of movies I'm privileged to watch. But books have been the same for me lately. Friday Night Knitting Club got rave reviews. I found it one big formula that wasn't so hot. I just finished Fearless Fourteen, which was the biggest snoozer of the Stephanie Plum series. I still enjoyed it, because I'm an addict to the series, but it really wasn't up to the level of the others. I see there's a new Jennifer Weiner book out, so I'll try that after I'm done with the Russian Concubine. I'm hoping to find something that's really good this summer. So any good trashy beach reads for me? Or movies that aren't rip-offs of the books that weren't that good to begin with (PS I Love You - Narnia)? In the theater or on DVD? I do still need to see Sex and the City. Even if it's bad, how could that go wrong?

1 comment:

Rogers5 said...

Russian Concubine is really good. You have to get to the half way part of it and then you won't want to put it down. The Serpent Bride was good I can't wait to get the second one. The Cove is so-so a little confusing right now. Enjoy the Russians.