November 29, 2009

Buying a couch shouldn't be like this

So we need a new couch, because ours are ridiculous. We got ours from friends who moved away years ago. Are you picking up what I'm putting down? We are using used, castaway couches that were our friends' basement room couches when they gave them to us. And we've been using them for years. And they're terrible. So take that into account, and add in the fact that I want a new TV. A big sucker. Plasma. One I can hang on the wall. And you've got a recipe for couch + TV shopping. We went to just two stores, and I'm exhausted. I hate shopping. And I really hate furniture shopping. Those swarmy places that have the guy following you around. "My name is Mike. If you need me I'll be right over here." Wait 45 seconds. "Hi, my name is Mike. Let me know if you need anything." After 2 whole stores of that, I'm ready to buy any of them just to be done with it. But how can there be so many couches all costing so much money, and they're all just mediocre? Why can't I find a couch that's beautiful AND comfortable? Why? Why? Why? I ask! So I think I'm going back to store #1 tomorrow to get the mediocre charcoal microfiber sectional couch that comes with a 50" plasma. Because I just don't have the stomach for this. The good news? Beerman has mentioned getting a Playstation to go with it twice now. I've declared Beetlejuice rules on this - if he mentions it a third time, I'm all in. Because talking big screen and Playstation to me is like waving bourbon in front of someone only up to the second step. Hell, you'd think I was the dude in this house...

1 comment:

Indigo said...

I love our couch, it's a leather overstuffed thing and the cushions are attached and NEVER come off. The only thing I'd love more is if my dogs would stay off of it and it was a recliner. Shopping for that couch was a nightmare though. A leather couch that doesn't say: "I'm a bachelor" is hard to find.

My 37 yr old single brother-in-law has a 40" LCD tv and the entire time we were in Denver my husband oooh'd and aaah'd over the Playstation attached to it. He's already lobbying for a Playstation for his b-day (Dec. 11th of all days, do you think he can come to wine club and we could call it a b-day party?) or for X-mas. He already has an Xbox and a Wii, how much better can a Playstation be???

Get the LCD instead of the plasma though, I don't remember why, something about technology.