November 5, 2009

Secretly Swiss

I've been thinking about Switzerland a lot lately. Well, since the second I left back in September, actually. And it's borderline obsessive. I think I'm secretly Swiss. I love the food, the people, the mountains, the chocolate... oh, the chocolate, and even the clean dirt. Now let me clarify. I have Swiss blood. Great-grandpa Louis was born there. (Best I can tell, he was born in Naters, but lived in Moutiers. Which is interesting, one being German and the other French.) But I think it's so much more than that. While we were there, Beerman made the comment, "You might have some Swiss lineage, but I think you're ALL Swiss inside." And I'm pretty sure he's right.

Let me 'splain.

During some of my obsessive reading on Switzerland and its people, I've discovered the following are general character traits of the Swiss:

  • Hedgehog mentality. Confronted with danger, a hedgehog will convolve and show its pricks.
  • Perfectionism, precision and punctuality. Or, as I like to think of it, complete competence.
  • Multiculturalism and multilinguism. Check.
See? I am perfectly Swiss. Except for the German or French or Romansh speaking parts. But I could learn those quickly, I swear it. I felt like every breath I breathed in was meant just for me. Somehow fit in my lungs more perfectly than anywhere else on earth. Sigh. Now if I only had enough money...

5 comments:

Indigo said...

It looks so picture perfect!

Rogers5 said...

It could be the very peaceful nature of the Swiss that endured you to them. Just remember you got to water that grass and it is still greener than mine. I'm still jealous

jon said...

Mingle******
My wife is Canadian.....oops! My wife is from Quebec.
She was not offended too much by the America Jr. remark. The French Canadians are a lot different culturally than the English Canadians. I even eat lard balls now. yum! yum! (They are called Cretons in Quebec.)

Bev Sykes said...

You know, there must be something in genetic memory. I remember the first time I came to Ireland, on a ferry, and as the land got closer and closer, I felt my heart rise up in my breast--sounds like purple prose, but that's really the only way to describe it. My great grandmother came from Ireland and I felt like I was returning for her.

By the same token, I love Australia and feel I could live there, but I don't have nearly the same gut-feeling that I have for Ireland.

Bev Sykes said...

Oh yeah...I was *mingling*. But you knew that, right?