November 19, 2009

Doing what you're good at

So there's this whole "culture shift" going on at work toward a strengths-based culture. Yeah, I know I put it in quotations. You surmise what you want from that. Anyhow, it is all about figuring out what you're good at and what energizes you and focusing on that and avoiding the energy-draining activities. So, my first step is to not clean my own toilets anymore. Because if anything is more draining... Well, maybe the endless laundry that almost makes me cry to carry up the stairs. Which makes me think I should start dropping it off at a laundromat. Hmmm... there are possibilities there. But I digress. So I'm trying to figure out what it is I'm good at and really, really like to do. Because I can name lots of things I really like to do but am not all that good at - like photography or knitting or playing piano. So those are hobbies. But things I both enjoy and am good at? So far, I've got baking, eating, writing and traveling. Since I don't know of an open position for a bakery food critic, I am going to have to spend some time on this one. Unless that bakery food critic position opens up someplace. Anyone?

3 comments:

jon said...

mingle*****
I would volunteer to clean your toilets but the commute is too long. I became very good at cleaning and actually took pride in my work. It was a stepping stone in my career. from toilets I moved up to sinks and urinals. That was many years ago. Ummm! I cleaned the toilets in our condo yesterday so I am still at it. I hang around toilets a lot. hmmm!

Indigo said...

I'll keep on the lookout for that job for you. What I'm liking for is a yoga/wine position that has perks that include free massages.

Melissa said...

Love your post! I'd love to blog and scrapbook....and drink wine! And get paid for it! **dreaming** :)

::mingling::