August 15, 2010

And then it was done

I've always loved the Wisconsin State Fair.  It's not about overdrinking or what band you see, like so many other festivals around here, although that can be a part of it if you choose.  For me, it's about flying down that enormous slide on those wretched burlap mats that are probably older than God.
It's about checking out which animals were born during the fair.  And now it's about teaching my child about what it means to have a new baby animal born, and teach him how they eat and what we do to care for them.
It's about the food on a stick.  All 70 items this year.  Beerman got the deep-fried philly cheesesteak on a stick, which was a new item.  He described it as "chewy".  Probably not a rousing endorsement of a stick food if I've ever heard one.  The frozen banana dipped in chocolate and the corn dogs were still hits on my dance card, though.
Of course, there were the racing pigs.  C-man was quite pleased his pig, Shakin' Bacon won.  Meanwhile, my pig, Tammy Swynette, just laid around and ate cookies.
And one of my favorite spots, the Expo Center, didn't disappoint.  C-man got to play some hockey. He didn't win, but did get a nice poster out of it. I think being a round-headed kid with glasses gets you extra stuff sometimes.  I got to look at the infrared saunas a bit more too. (Now if we can just figure out where to put it, we're buying one of those suckers!)
I got to see the salsa maker in action and hear Beerman tell me if I wanted it, he'd get it for me. (Once upon a time, I went to the fair with an old boyfriend who wouldn't buy it for me, even though it was THE ONE THING I wanted in the whole wide world but couldn't afford because I was in college, and he could because he had a real life job as an engineer. It's still a sore spot for me, and Beerman knows he gets easy points by telling me I can have it. It's just not that appealing of a gadget when I know I can have it. I mean, it's not like I eat salsa very often, anyhow.)
C-man got to fire a paint ball gun. You'd have thought he'd died and gone to heaven.  (Just wait until he finds out he is going to learn to shoot a BB gun later this month while we're on vacation!)
And at the end of the day, C-man got his blow-up Superman.  He spotted it on the way into the fair and it was the only thing we heard about all.damn.day. 
So imagine my surprise when at bedtime I asked him what his favorite part about his day was, and he answered, "Learning about the animals and what stuff we make out of their bodies." Maybe the fair is special to him too.

1 comment:

jon said...

Tammy Swynette? What happen to Bert Porks, Kevin Bacon, and Gerald Ford?........Gerald Ford?