August 10, 2010

Legacies

John Werner (1855-1921) and Caroline Heil (1860-1944)

I have linked major parts of 3 of my genes to these people, my great-great grandparents.  I never knew them. In fact, I only met their child, Caroline - my great-grandmother, a few times.  (Although my mouth still waters at the thought of her warm strawberry shortcake coming out of the oven).  All I have or know about them are these photos I've found on the internet linked to their names, alongside their birth and death dates.  I don't know who they are, and yet, bits of them are inside me.  Which makes them a part of me. I am part of their legacy, and they are a part of mine.  So here's to you John and Caroline.  Thanks for coming along for the ride.

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

I wish my relatives had kept some kind of commentary about themselves so I could know what they were like.

::mingle::