August 21, 2010

A cause, a festival, and some tug-of-war

Today was the annual Arthritis Foundation 5K to Irish Fest. I walked it this year.  I haven't been feeling very well, so haven't been running at all.  Plus, C-man and Beerman were available to walk it with me this year, so it was a good of an excuse as any to take it slow.
It was hot and muggy, but we made it along the lake and around the lagoon.
And despite C-man claiming he was going to "absolutely die" during the walk because he was sooo tired and his tummy hurt soooo bad, he still had enough in him to run across the finish line, clocking in at a solid 50 minutes.
Afterward, we cooled off in the Milwaukee Art Museum for a bit.  And since it was noon, we got to watch the wings open and close.  We also got to see 2 weddings and 3 quincineiras getting their photos taken.  C-man always loves seeing the girls in their elaborate dresses.
And then it was time to head into Irish Fest.  Typically this is not my main festival of the year (that's State Fair, after all). But I've decided now that I have discovered my Irish roots, I needed to give it a better shot.  And there were definitely some cool things - a huge geneology tent for me, and a recreated Narnia complete with walking through the closet for C-man. The food and music are still not my thing.  (Scotch eggs and bagpipes next to tiny girls in makeup and fake curly wigs stomping dancing... Really?)
But the tug-of-war competition was a lot of fun to watch.  How do you even get on a competitive tug-of-war team anyhow?  It's not like you hear little kids saying, "When I grow up..."  But there they are.  And I found them facinating.  In fact, this team is heading to the World Championship in South Africa in September.

Overall, it was a pretty good day.  But now I'm really tired.  So if someone could just bring me my dinner and put that movie in so I don't have to get off my butt, everything would be perfect.

1 comment:

jon said...

awesome pictures!!!!