November 28, 2010

Fa la la la la

To celebrate the first day of Advent, this morning we decked the halls with Christmas music on.  It's so sweet, which songs C-man loves.  And cuter yet, that he hates the Nutcracker Suite.  Apparently they play it during rest time and he hates it.  Not funny by itself, until you realize that's what Mrs. Holtz used to play for me during Kindergarten rest period, and it was YEARS before I could listen to Tchaikovsky without flashbacks.  (Seriously, is that in the Kindergarten teacher's handbook?) So we had a good laugh about what sucky music the Nutcracker Suite really is, and then rocked on to the next song.

But back to the decorations... C-man loves putting up the ornaments. His decorating style leans toward the "clumping" style, with all of his ornaments are on 3 branches.  The ornaments I put up that he could reach? All got rearranged to be on those same 3 branches.  He thinks it is beautiful.  And who am I to judge the 3 baseballs together with the Polish racing sausage and JJ Hardy? (JJ is still revered as a Brewer of Christmas past, apparently).

The one big tree tradition we have is that we get an ornament from wherever we travel.  It's always such fun to bring them out each year and remember where we got them - from Botswana to Italy to Sanibel Island and more.  (Except this year, we got one from San Diego, and I can't find it anywhere, which is driving me crazy!)

It was a really nice morning.  And to keep it going, before we head to see My Son Pinocchio at First Stage, I'm on my way to find an Advent wreath to light during dinner tonight. A great way to start the season.

Fa la la la laaaaaa...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty picture! I like to get ornaments when we travel as well (and mugs, lol) - just wish there was more of them on the tree! ;)