November 18, 2010

Thursday Thirteen bullets of random stuff

We have secured our plane tickets to Albuquerque for Easter break and I now have a bazillion country songs randomly streaming through my head as a result.  Who knew so many songs referred to Albuquerque?

I've never been to New Mexico, and am quite excited about it, even though it's months and months away.  But I love going to new places so much, it's a real thrill to have something on the books.  We're open to doing just about anything, so if you've been to NM and have any fun tips, let me have 'em!

There was a Quidditch World Cup held in New York last weekend. Can someone please tell these freaks that they look ridiculous with those brooms stuck between their legs?  You know, because they CAN'T.REALLY.FLY!

Next week is Thanksgiving.  When I was in 1st grade we had a Thanksgiving day party.  I don't remember what they served, but I remember I didn't like what was on the menu so had absolutely nothing to eat that day. And the teacher made me drink the white milk out of the carton that was almost room temperature "because I took it". (I didn't, the mom helper handed it to me).  I've never liked milk, and that room temperature 2% milk experience sticks in my mind so vividly all these years later.  Maybe that's contributed to why I don't feel like Thanksgiving is such a big deal?

At that same party, I was assigned to be an Indian. My mom put my hair in 2 french braids (like she did EVERY day of my childhood) and wrapped them in these leather things we had bought in Minocqua the summer prior.  I didn't want to be an Indian, because the hats were way cooler for the Pilgrims.  It would have been way more interesting had I known I have Wampanoag ancestory.

We're heading to Beerman's grandmother's house as usual. I've been assigned the cranberries.  Sometimes, there is real peace in routines.

C-man has show and tell every Monday. And just like his 3 year old pre-school and then K4, each week has a letter theme.  When they run out of letters, they move to colors.  (On the 3rd year of this, I'm beyond tired of it.  They're 5 and 6. They know their letters and are spelling and writing words.  Can we please move on?!) And it can't be a toy, which eliminates about everything in C-man's life.  So not only do I have to remember to do this over the weekend and get it in his backpack for Monday morning, I was stuck with letter E this week.  He took the book, "The Cow That Laid an Egg".  Close enough.

People I know are getting their email accounts hacked left and right lately, so it was a good reminder for me to go through and change all my passwords so you don't get an email request to pay my kidnapping ransom to a Nigerian bank account.  Now I can't remember what the heck I've changed half of the passwords to, including one of our bank accounts.  At least it's money that won't get spent now!

C-man continues with Chess Club each Monday. I'm amazed at how excited he is about it and how much he's learned.  I volunteered the previous 2 weeks, and it's really cool how the older kids help the younger kids to learn.

C-man is also signed up for Little League next year.  It's hard to believe he's old enough for honest to goodness Little League.  He'll be on the younger end, since his birthday is March, and the cutoff is the end of April.  But I couldn't bear the thought of enduring one more painful year of rec league coach-pitch.  Now if I could get the kid to field some grounders, life would be good.

I signed up for a cake decorating class ages ago, and it's this weekend. I have to make 2-8" rounds to take with me to decorate.  Hmmm... which flavor should I make?

I've been on the hunt for a good German language program, but can't find anything but Spanish.  Spanish is useful. But I get Spanish. It's German I don't understand.  Plus, it's #5 on the list.

Parent-teacher conferences are next week.  This school year has gone so fast.  C-man's report card was really, really good. I'm so thankful.  It'll still be interesting to get the teachers' perspective on him, though.

5 comments:

Mary Z said...

We love NM! We go to the Four Corners area every chance we get - but that's not really near ABQ. How long will you be there? There's a terrific Pueblo Cultural Center http://www.indianpueblo.org/ . You'll surely go north a bit to Santa Fe, which is terrific for history and art, jewelry, pottery, rugs, etc. There's a Petroglyph State Park. There's a Wildlife Refuge just south on the Rio Grande River. Acoma pueblo high on a mesa nearby. Sandia Mountain. Way too much for just a week.

Terry Elisabeth said...

Email accounts being hacked ? That would explain that I'm receiving many emails from my mom and cousin about great web sites, shopping etc.

I LOVE your heading ! It makes me smile every time.

l'empress said...

Well, you may know I was one of those hacked. I told "Yah-who?" that it did a better job of protecting me from myself than from any hacker.

Little League was one of the best things that ever happened to my son. His dad knows nothing about baseball. I could tell him, but I couldn't do anything well enough to show him.

His coach taught him to be a good player and much more besides. I figure anyone who was so good to the kids earned his place in heaven.

{{The Mingling Empress}}

Anonymous said...

Ug, with ya on the milk, think the warm school stuff ruined it for me too. Sounds fun on the cake decorating!

Indigo said...

I've been to NM once, I was in Taos and then Alb but I don't remember anything about Alb other than it was a very nice hotel. And the gorge, you must go see the gorge.

Are you going to take pics of the cake? I can't wait to see how it turns out!