October 10, 2011

In the silence

I've never been one to love the noise. I've preferred books to TV. Poetry to music. Walks to runs. Because it's quieter. Silence feels like a blanket to me. I'm not an introvert by any stretch of the imagination. I just find that silence feels warm and comfortable, whereas noise feels raw and naked. I think it's a huge reason why I love my camera so much. At functions, I don't have to mingle or laugh, but I can look around, observe, and yes, even hide a little. Which is why I feel it's a bit of a double-edged sword. Each year, I feel like I fade a little bit more into the silence. And I'm finding that I don't really like that it's happening like that that much. While it's comfortable, it's also stopping me from doing things I should be doing. I'm seeking out silence and withdrawal instead of jumping into the crazy. So I'm trying to change that. Little by little, I need to find a better balance. Because in the words of Dr. Seuss, "You'll miss the best in life if you keep your eyes shut."

2 comments:

SarahinSC said...

I can relate to every sentiment here, but I truly am an introvert. I face the same dilemma. Stay behind-the-scenes-quiet or push myself to be more social and more in the mix. Some days I'm ok with just being me and other days I really wish I could just put myself out there more. If you ever get it all figured out, please let me know!

Mary Z said...

Another gorgeous photo of a lovely lady!