October 24, 2011

What I'll be when I grow up

For a long time, I was pretty happy with my decisions around my career as an adult educator. I was energized by learning theories and learning transfer and interacting with others. I scoffed at people who still used (gasp) clip art and PowerPoint templates for their presentations. I rolled my eyes at boring training sessions when it could be done so much better and faster in another way. I loved facilitating a meeting and stopping it midstream to condense it into 3 bullets of content that would have taken others all day of hemming and hawing to get to.

I've been doing all that for about 10 years straight now. And that's a really long time for me to do something non-stop. So truth be told, I'm getting kind of bored with it. I don't feel energized by it anymore; I feel spent by it. But the fact of the matter is, where I work is a good place to do this, so going somewhere else wouldn't really help. I am just kind of tired of the field in general.

The reality is, however, that I've created a bit of a niche for myself in these 10 years. The hours are good, the pay is better, I'm well respected for what I do, and honestly, I'm quite good at it.

But at the same time, I feel like it's draining my soul a bit. It's like I'm not coming up with anything new anymore, even if it's new to the person I'm delivering it to. And that lack of newness is hard on me. I'm not a routine person. I love new things. I love new information. I love doing things differently.

And so, I'm torn between finding a new "What I want to be when I grow up" and figuring out how to turn my thoughts around on what I am currently doing. At what point is it better to jump ship into the unknown over drudging through my days uninspired?

2 comments:

Mary Z said...

Not an easy place to be. I'm sure you'll handle it with your usual thought, consideration, and grace.

jon said...

A dilemma, for sure.
How can you make a stale job seem fresh?
What do you educate people to do?
It sounds like you have a great job but you know it so well that it is boring to you.
I guess you better get out of your comfort zone for a while. Not out of your job,