October 3, 2011

Monday mug

Self Portrait 2/50

This mugging for the camera still feels a little ostentatious. I find myself setting up the shots when no one is around, because it feels so weird. And then I push the remote button just as the wind whips through, and the urge to do a retake after I've redone my hair and make-up gets incredibly strong. But I fight it. Along with the urge to touch up the photo every way possible in post-processing.  But I'm continually reminding myself that this project is about learning and creativity, not about being airbrushed. And it's helping me realize that this project is also a little bit about personal acceptance. Accepting that it's okay that my hair isn't looking salon perfect, and my eyes are looking chemo tired, and my face pudgier than it should be. It's not about complacency, but acceptance of who I am on this date, at this time, at this stage, at this age. And I guess having a record of that is kind of neat. So here it is. #2 of 50. Only 48 more to go.

1 comment:

jon said...

You look like a very acceptable human to me. In fact, you are very nice looking despite your harsh critique of yourself.