October 4, 2015

On this side of things


The last piece of Rumors is a long speech/explanation by my play husband, Lenny. And last night, when he entered the stage to begin his long story, I thought to myself, "This is it!" And it was with an exclamation point. Not sadness, not fear, not regret, but happiness and relief.

It was a funny show. And for a small community theater group with day jobs and lives, we did it pretty well. I was so thrilled to have so many family and friends come to see it happen, and share the laughs. It was so satisfying to have C-man see me do this again. To have him see me put myself out there like we expect him to do. I was thrilled that I was able to take on the part of Claire, and still be able to hold my head high.

After, we went out to the local watering hole as a cast and crew. And it was 1 a.m. before I knew it, and realized I should probably get my butt home before I had more gimlets than I could handle. They are wonderful people. Funny, articulate, smart, interesting, and kind people. And I feel truly lucky to have been a part of this group.

But wow, am I pleased with myself to be on this side of it. And as everyone else was lamenting the theater and rehearsal withdrawals, and looking at which shows we could do next, I was secretly cheering inside.

Because it is done. Over. And now I can get back to a normal life at home that doesn't require juggling the babysitter times and when I'll have enough time to eat my next meal. I'm so relieved to have my life, and my family back.

You know, until next time...

No comments: