December 20, 2010

Around the world in an ornament

I don't know how it started, but every time we go somewhere significant, we get a Christmas tree ornament. They're my favorites to pull out each year, because our various trips become trips down memory lane.  And we're getting enough of them that after I put them up, just when I think I've found them all, I find another one.  So here they are:

I think our first one was from Sanibel Island.  A birthday trip gift to Beerman before we were married.  It was a really lovely trip, and we were soooo in looooove.
I got this guy last year in Fussen, Germany, when I went to hike above Ludwig's castle. C-man loves to pull on the string to make him move.
During that same trip we got this guy from a shop in Luzern, Switzerland.  It was after having come down Pilates mountain, and we'd listened to the cowbells ring through the fog the entire way.

We picked up this one in Siena, Italy. A day trip from Florence that we enjoyed thoroughly.
This one we got years ago while in Sedona, Arizona. A trip with my parents to see the Packers lose to play the Cardinals.  It was a really fun trip to a place I'd never been. (Favre with a famous interception to end the game).
This was acquired on a lovely anniversary trip to Bayfield, Wisconsin.
This one we got from a beautiful store in Gaborone, Botswana.  We bought it right after I'd made us drive all the way to the Kalahari and back, our car's air conditioning unable to keep up with the heat, to get some pottery. (On a side note, that Kalahari looks nothing like the Wisconsin Dells Kalahari.  Someday, someone is going to have to explain to me how a hot ass desert was the name chosen for a midwest waterpark.)
This ornament we got in our arrival basket at a friend's wedding while in South Africa.  Beaded wire ornaments like this are a local tradition.
This guy's all Big Island of Hawaii.  That was a lovely trip we took with Beerman's family and grandparents.
And this guy is all New Orleans.  That crazy trip we took so I could stand up in a vampire-esque wedding (The dress was corset-like complete with laces up the back and I was 6 months pregnant). Apparently we went through a funny Santa kick around this time?
And our latest installment this year is the one got one from the San Diego Zoo.  We never saw the Pandas, because the line was outrageous, and at the time I was really struggling physically so couldn't stand that long.  But C-man wanted the panda ornament, so of course, we have the panda ornament.
Next year?  Here's hoping we get new ones from New Mexico and Thailand!

2 comments:

Snowcatcher said...

Lovely photos! Very ambient. And how wonderful to have so many fun memories on the tree!

Your banner got me really chuckling again. You come up with such good stuff for the top of your blog!

Anonymous said...

Pretty ornaments! I love to do the same thing on trips. PS Love the cows!