December 6, 2010

Who filled the stockings?

Setting:
Opening St. Nick's presents before breakfast. I'm opening my gift.

Conversation:
C-man to Beerman "Did you buy the St. Nick's gifts?"
Beerman "Yes"

Actions:
Beerman gets up to go take a shower, leaving me with a wide-eyed C-man.


Now, to Beerman's credit, he meant, "I bought your mom's gift, because St. Nick only brings stuff for kids."  It was NOT what he said, however.  He said, "Yes."

So over breakfast, C-man asked if St. Nick was dead, and not sure what I was supposed to say, considering what had just happened, I told him he was.  Then we talked about the real St. Nick and what he did while alive.  I then told him that St. Nick only brings presents for kids, not adults, which is what his Dad was trying to say.  C-man decided that was probably right, and St. Nick was still a magical toy bringer, even if dead.

Oh, boy. We are soooo not good at this.

4 comments:

jon said...

yeah, it gets tougher every year.
Wilson left Santa a few chunks of kibble and a saucer of milk. So we got Wilson a bird he flings all over the place and it chirps.
I can't figure out what he did with them.

Indigo said...

Oh my. What a pickle a simple yes or no question brings. I would have probably laughed myself silly. You did much better than I would have.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Well sounds like you were quick on your feet!

Snowcatcher said...

Oh, man, that's a hard one! But I think you did okay, and it sounds like it took it in stride!