February 11, 2012

Free Day

The boys are at Cub Scout camp today. They aren't doing the overnight because C-man has been sick - snotty nose and a fever this week with what we suspect is an ear infection. But I almost teared up a little when they left, because they're at the camp I was Director of for a few years. That was one of the hardest jobs I've ever had - starting at 23 years old with only 2 weeks notice, managing both a Boy Scout and Cub Scout program that I'd never personally experienced, in a camp filled with repeat campers and their expectations, a kitchen that served lunch each day with a "chef" who was less than worthy of the job, a cantankerous camp ranger I had to win over, a staff of 25, all while wearing olive green socks. And it was also one of the jobs I remember with most fondness. I had to quit because I met and got engaged to Beerman, and he quickly informed me he wasn't moving out to Boy Scout camp 4 months a year. The things you do for love, I guess.

I am well aware of what the problems are with the organization. But there is so much good to it, that I feel it way outweighs the negative. I saw kids who were constantly fighting with their parents come to camp as a counselor for the entire summer and be my absolute best kids because they had a specific purpose and we trusted them wholly. I saw kids come to camp and sob the first night with homesickness and by the end of the week ask if they could stay for another. I saw kids learn to do things they wouldn't have learned elsewhere. And while I don't know if learning about beekeeping changed any of their lives, it did mine. Because those summers taught me so much then, that I find I'm still using those lessons in how I deal with C-man.

So now, I have the day free to myself. Well, except for the time I need to spend taking Harry to the park, because he's not letting up on that idea. But I sure hope they have a smashing good time at one of my favorite places.

No comments: