February 15, 2012

Goosfraba

Lately, it seems like so many around me are in a negative funk. I've never been Priscilla Positive, and I know this is kind of a blah month with little going on in terms of distractions, but it seems out of the ordinary. More so, when I'm not feeling this way and am in stark contrast to what's going on. Even worse, is that when I listen to the negative blather, complaints and self-destructive behavior, when I have to listen to the exact same story...again...simply because the person is desperately trying to convince everyone around her to be on her side because she's clearly right, I find myself wanting to shake the person and yell, "Then stop being an ass!" or "Do you even remember why you hate this person in the first place?" or "You married him for a reason - and it wasn't because he was the most despicable person on the planet, so cut it out!"

It's so easy to point the finger at someone else. So easy to blame someone else for your troubles. But why aren't these people seeing the trouble they are causing, or continuing to keep snowballing, with their awful, vindictive or unforgiving attitude? Why don't we assume the best in people instead of the worst? Why are we starting from a place of assuming we're always right and the other person is always wrong? Why are we assuming the intent is negative or disingenuous, when maybe you just misunderstood what was happening to begin with? Can't we just forgive someone for a screw up and move on without it becoming a preposterously large argument? Or just realize you have absolutely nothing in common no matter how badly others want you to, so you just move on in a respectful way? Since when is human nature all black and white?

I'm talking about little stuff, but bad stuff, too - I'm seeing marriages go bad, kids hate their parents, siblings fighting - all because people can't let go of the idea that they are superior in their rightness.

I'm hoping it's just a February thing. Because I've got better things to do with my time. Like get my kid's ear healed up so he can swim again, and talk baseball, and smell the beautiful red roses that I got yesterday.

Life is short. So if you're being an ass, just cut it out. Goosfraba, people. Goosfraba.

No comments: