February 21, 2012

Setting Sail

It's Fat Tuesday. The last day of gluttony before the fast. The day when around the world, people are dressed up and dancing and drinking and having fun; gorging themselves on pancakes; or dropping sugary, raisin-filled donuts into the lard. The day when I sit at my desk and write a course for a topic that makes me a little ill. But I digress.

I asked C-man what he was going to do differently to remember that it was Lent. He first decided he wasn't going to have the Baskin Robbins Wild and Reckless sherbet. We decided that was a little weak since it's only a once a week thing. Then he decided he was banning all sweets. I suggested it just be chocolate, as all sweets was a little harsh, but he stuck to the all sweets thing. Then on the ride home from school last night, he said, "Mom, I think I'm going to just skip chocolate." Apparently he was thinking about what "all sweets" really meant.

I'm going to exercise every day and give up chocolate. The chocolate abstinence because I'm an addict, and the daily exercise because I feel like I need to appreciate the season a bit more. And focusing on and appreciating my health is significant on several fronts.


I hope you're enjoying your Fat Tuesday, whatever tradition you're following.

No comments: