February 16, 2012

Thursday Thirteen Bits and Bytes

  1. I ditched acupuncture. Came right out and told them they did me no good. I don't think anyone has ever told them that before, because they weren't the nicest about it. I'm suspecting a call from the acupuncturist himself will be coming soon.
  2. On the way into work, I was listening to an NPR episode about how the DOD is covering acupuncture for wounded warriors. Interesting concept.
  3. I am pretty sure I have an ulcer again. The only thing I don't have trouble eating is oatmeal. I've been eating a whole lot of oatmeal lately. It's definitely not my favorite thing to eat.
  4. I switched from gym A to gym B because gym B is more family friendly - better pool, better kid-friendly gym hours, an area specifically for kids - But it's only so-so with regards to being an adult workout center. This was made really apparent when I went for my usual Monday night Being Human run and realized the TVs are only on the ellipticals.
  5. The elliptical said I burned 580 calories, but I don't buy it. 580 calories on a bike or treadmill, and I'm jelly legged and need to refill my water at least once. 580 calories on the elliptical and I barely needed any of my water. It was like workout lite.
  6. I've signed up for the Loyola PhD program open house later this month. It's still an exploratory search, but I feel better about this program than any other I've seen so far.
  7. I got a dozen red roses delivered to my work for Valentines Day this week. Cliche? Totally. Overpriced? Without a doubt. Fabulous? Absolutely.
  8. C-man has not relented in his quest for long hair. And I have not relented in my distaste for it, yet I will not die on this sword. Instead, I've made an appointment for him with my stylist to see what she can do to his mop of hair while it grows out. Because while I am unwilling to make a simple head of hair a bigger deal than it is, I will not let him look like crap either. And so, we compromise. Him to grow out his shag, and me to let him do it as long as it looks nice. I wonder if he'll get a head and hand massage, too.
  9. I've started wearing lipstick again. I used to wear it when I was young and dumb. Then I had a baby and got out of the habit of it because it would just get kissed all over him. So now I'm back full-time. And I think I kind of like it. Plus, I am consistently getting compliments on looking good even on days I'm feeling like garbage. Red lips it is.
  10. Lent starts next week. So apparently I'm making the most of it by stuffing my face with chocolate as hard as I can. I'm going to end up looking like a teenager before this is over. Strike that, a fat teenager.
  11. A yoga studio opened by the house. It really is the end to my internal excuses about there being no yoga close by. I need to go try it out. This double chin isn't going to lose itself.
  12. Since we got Hulu Plus, I don't think we've watched live TV. Even better, the whole family is addicted to Psych and finding the pineapple. Good stuff.
  13. It's felt like an incredibly long work week, and I didn't really work much on Monday. That's telling.

3 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

The shag is nothing. Wait till he starts shaving his head, or shaving designs into his hair. Or dying it pink. We went through all of those stages. I never liked it, but I figured they were the ones who had to appear in public and there were bigger fights to have than how they looked. It sounds like you have come up with a reasonable compromise.

Mary Z said...

Our daughter was pretty much of the idea that hair grew out, so she never wanted to make much of an issue about it. The thing was that the child had to take care of it him/herself. Like you said, not worth falling on your sword over.

Bev Sykes said...

Hey, Jen...can you drop me a note to basykes@gmail.com and let me know how to contact you privately. I have a question for you about your blogspot layout.

Thanks!