July 20, 2012

Back again

I'm back from my week in Boston. The training was good. The location of the training was even better - right next to Boston Commons and the Public Gardens. Each morning, even though it was well into the 80s and ridiculously humid, I made a conscious decision to get up early, grab breakfast, and go to sit in the gardens and watch the elderly Chinese women do their Tai Chi or sing their morning prayers. One morning I shared my egg and sausage bagel with a homeless guy named Ted. He told me I shouldn't eat sausage because it is bad for my health. (The irony of a guy who sleeps on park benches lecturing me on my health while we were watching other people do their exercise was not lost on me.)

Interestingly enough, the training I went to was all about how to help yourself and others make behavioral changes. In going through it, I have a renewed energy to improve my own health. In my head, the intent is always there. And I definitely have the knowledge of how to do it. But in practice, I've been crap at it because I'm so poorly self-motivated. So I think I have a real plan to get myself moving. Movement is the only way I ever feel better, yet the pain is what stops me. And that's a vicious circle for me. Which means it is time to re-energize on the topic and start moving myself.

So thanks, Ted. I'm officially cutting down on the sausage.

No comments: