April 4, 2013

To Bursa We Go


This morning, we said goodbye to Kusadasi, and got in the longest car trip of the week - 6 hours - to Bursa.


Along the way, we saw shepherds everywhere. As in Jesus time shepherds. Oh, how I wanted a photo of them. But alas. We also saw olive trees. I got a picture of those, at least.


Then we got to Bursa. We swam in the thermal pool for a couple of hours, and then headed out to see some things nearby in the city.


Our hotel also has a traditional Roman bath. I am started to be tired and cough a little, so I skipped it this time. I'm thankful I took advantage of it in Cankakkale.


The city is filled with local flavor. This shop had all kinds of great things, including large barrels with honeycomb. Oh, how I wanted it. Beerman told me the little beagle in O'Hare wouldn't let it through. That may be the only beagle I've ever disliked.


I stopped and watched some local guys play mah johnge. They all smiled and waved for the camera, and it was funny. But I prefer this shot when they didn't know I was looking at them.


And, of course, we had to sample the local sweets. C-man got a giant creme puff/eclair/donut thing as big as his head.


I got some fresh baklava.


We're starting to talk about our flight times back, and all of that nonsense, which means we're nearing the end. Tomorrow, after touring the Green Mosque here in Bursa, we head to Istanbul and its Egyptian Bazaar. None of us want to go home, but I suppose it's time. It really has been quite lovely, and we've learned so much. Sigh...

1 comment:

l'empress said...

It has been wonderful reading your descriptions of Turkey. Thank you so much for including us!