November 25, 2008

To Santa or Not To Santa

This is our make or break it year. Do we play into the Santa game with C-man, or do we roll with our lives, continuing to be truthful to him? I remember vividly finding out about Santa Claus and being angry. It was never a fun game to me. A strange man climbing into my house, looking over me all the time, people constantly pestering me about what he was going to bring me, and then finding out I'd been lied to about it all. I remember knowing he wasn't real, but having to play along because it would somehow hurt the feelings of those around me. And it's happening already with C-man. We can't talk to someone without him/her saying, "What's Santa bringing you?" It's so frustrating! Why does everyone assume we're playing along with this charade? And if we don't play along, we have a whole host of other issues. Like, how do we teach a 3 1/2 year old what the rules are? Most parents lie to their kids about this strange fat man but we've chosen to not do that to you? I know I'm in the minority in the no-Santa thing, but it just doesn't sit right with me. And I know I'm going to have to decide soon. But until then, I wish people would just shut it about the whole Santa thing because I don't think it's their decision to make for us.

No comments: